"Well, it makes it easier for everyone if you have access without needing me. Nat has clearance, after all. Why not you?" His smile quirked in a silent chuckle.

"It's for more than just adding me and Sam to your security," he explained needlessly, easily brushing aside her futile attempt to maintain even the illusion of distance. "You've invited us into your sanctuary. We both know that's more than you needed to offer. A lot more." She shrugged, pointedly keeping herself from looking up again.

Looking up just now, with him so close...she was already in dangerous territory...

"Yeah, well...it's not entirely selfless," she brushed off. "You know I need to find him too. Besides, it doesn't sit right, what they're saying went down, the way they're hunting him." He only hummed in response, no doubt recognizing her painfully obvious deflection. There was no point in saying anything else. Nadine disconnected her tablet, closing up the housing for her Workshop's main entry keypad.

"You're cleared," she said to Steve with a smile as she slipped past him and headed back toward her boards, knowing he would follow.

Only to stop as his hand hooked lightly on her arm.

"Nadine," he said earnestly, his gaze snaring hers and not letting go, "really. Thank you." Her breath hitched, unable to quite manage to form the words required to respond. She was acutely aware of the warmth of his hand and just how close he was. Mentally she shook her head, forcing herself not to give in and study his features—his clear, ocean-hued eyes, his full lips...lips she'd dreamed of... No, she couldn't go there. She just couldn't.

Mutely, she just nodded, forcing a weak smile to her lips, reaching out to lay a hand on his bicep to convey her appreciation for the sentiment.

Only for her breath to well and truly catch when his fingers were suddenly grazing across her cheek, his thumb rising to brush the corner of her mouth...the way he was looking at her...considering, intent...

And then they were leaning closer, so close...and she couldn't stop it...she didn't have the will to stop it... She didn't know who moved first...was it her? Him? Both?

Warmth bloomed deep within her chest as his lips brushed, feather light against hers.

It could barely be called a kiss...almost more a mingling of breath than anything else...and yet...it left her lips tingling and her pulse fluttering as a small, tense part of her eased, pleased and nearly...relieved...

And suddenly her heart was hammering in her chest, realization crashing in on her as she pulled abruptly back, staring up at him in shock and disbelief.

Oh, God, had that really nearly happened...

Had she really just...

How could she have let herself almost...

Swallowing thickly, knowing her eyes were probably far too wide and conflicted and her cheeks undoubtedly beginning to flush, she searched his features, suddenly fearful. He looked so...thoughtful? Considering? There was an odd expression in his gaze that she couldn't quite decipher; that was happening more and more frequently with him. Why couldn't she read him? She needed to know! To understand what had just happened. To understand how he felt about what had just happened...of all the times to give into such a thoughtless impulse...why hadn't she stopped herself...but...he had been the one to lean in first...to nearly...did that mean...

It couldn't possibly...

Maybe she just didn't want to understand.

Maybe she was afraid to...