Chapter Three - Heart Of Gold

Start from the beginning

"Are you saying I didn't tell you to transfer to the removed clients list, because I did. You clearly were not listening."

"With all due respect, I questioned you about the removed stamps and you never said anything about where to put the client info. I was listening, intently I promise you."

"Are you saying I'm lying?" She murmured. I heard the wheels of her desk chair move across the floor, the clip of her heels drew closer to me. I juggled the files in one arm as I pulled open the cabinet.

"No, I'm just wondering if with all you have to attend to, that maybe you thought you told me."

I began to replace the folders when Greta leaned up against the cabinet.

"I definitely said it Alice. You're not going to last very long here if you continue to blame me for your mistakes. I'm done fixing your mistake. I think I'll take my coffee to the break room."

I swallowed hard and nodded. Evan had said it himself, I was, for lack of a better term Greta's lackey. Her opinion of me had the capability to directly affect my position here and while I knew I wouldn't be here forever, I hadn't found what I had come here for yet.

"Of course. I'm sorry."

She nodded and walked away, back to her desk to retrieve her coffee.

"Once you've done that, maybe you should read the welcome file Mr Jackson gave to you."

Once Greta was gone I walked back to my desk and slumped into my chair. Maybe coming here had been a mistake, maybe I was looking for answers where there were none.

I managed to make it through the rest of the day without making any more mistakes, but a large part of that was due to the fact Greta didn't give me much to do. I restocked the staff room, fetched another round of coffees and dusted the entire receiving room top to bottom.

Evan walked out at 5pm and looked over at Greta.

"I'm done for the day, I'll see you tomorrow." He walked out the door without even acknowledging my presence.

"Don't worry, tomorrow will be a better day." Greta murmured picking up her purse. "The first day is always the hardest."

I nodded and stood up from my desk, hopefully she was right. We walked to the door together and rode down the elevator in silence. It stopped in the lobby and I stepped out, Scarlett had arranged to pick me up.

"See you Tomorrow Alice." Greta murmured as the doors closed.

I walked across the black floor and exited the doors, sucking in deep lungfuls of air. Thankful for the end of the day I walked to the curb and looked out for Scarlett's car. As soon as I spied it I almost ran for it, desperate to escape.

I opened the door and sat down, relaxing into the soft leather seats.

"Hard day?" Scarlett noted.

"You could say that."

"Evan can be a closed off boy, but he's got a heart of gold."

"Mmm." I mused, today I'd seen a few sides to Evan and none of them quite painted that picture.

"Well, maybe you can have a fresh start tonight." Scarlett murmured as we drove down the road.

"A fresh start?"

"I've invited Jace and Ben over for dinner and of course Chloe and Evan too. I'm sure a bit of conversation and some laughs will ease the new job tension."

I frowned and bit my lip, after the problems I'd so clearly caused Evan, I wasn't sure that a simple dinner would change his perception of me. I tried to come up with a way to exclude myself from dinner, a sudden illness or something similar, but by the time we got home I was unable to bring any of it to fruition. I couldn't lie to Scarlett.

Scarlett pulled into the driveway and turned the car off.

"I can cancel." She murmured. "If you'd like."

I would have liked, very much, to cancel the dinner. The thought of spending time with Evan after today filled me with a dread I couldn't even begin to explain to Scarlett. But just like I couldn't lie to Scarlett, I couldn't shut the door on her attempts to bring us all together.

"No, Scarlett. Please, I'd love to see everyone tonight."

Everyone but Evan.  

A/N - I will posting another chapter of the new book in the Going series tonight!

While you're waiting, why don't you head to my wattpad profile and click on the inkitt link to check out some of my other works and help me out!

Love yas!