Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Jace came over within a matter of nine minutes. There was a slight knocking on my bedroom window, and normally, I would’ve freaked out, but I knew it was only Jace.

I quickly slid the window up for him to crawl in, wondering how the hell he managed to climb up to the second floor of my house. Jace had one foot in my room, and just as he was about to slip the other one in, he tripped against the window sill, toppling over my stature. My bottom came crashing onto the carpeting of my room as I fell back, squeezing my eyes shut. When I finally felt the impact of the fall, I opened my eyes, staring directly at Jace, who was just a few inches from my face. Jace’s hands were on either side of my head, and his legs were on either side of my lower half. Taking in a sharp breath of air, my eyes widened at how much this insanely awkward moment reminded me of what happened between Jace and I back at Ryan’s party.

                “Everly,” Jace paused, his eyes scanning my face carefully in the dimly lit room from the moonlight peaking through the windows, “fuck, have you been crying?”

                Jace snapped me back into reality as I pushed his body off of mine, sitting back up as I rubbed my back from the impact of the fall. “Jace, how the hell did you manage to trip?” I cursed, shaking my head. “Fuck, I’m going to feel that in my back tomorrow morning.”

                Jace smirked as he inched closer to me with a suggestive grin. “Do you want me to rub it for you?”

                A smile immediately cracked across my face as I gently pushed Jace’s shoulder. “Shut up, you big idiot.” I held back a chuckle. “I’m not in the mood to be laughing.”

                Jace’s features immediately softened, a concerned expression overtaking his face. “Everly, what happened?” he asked softly, taking my hand into his. Jace laced our fingers together, his hand noticeably larger than mine. I stared down at our intertwined fingers for the longest time, loving the way his warm and soft palms made me feel protected and safe. “There’s got to be a reason why you called me this late at night.”

                “I’m scared, Jace.” I admitted, feeling a weight being lifted off my shoulders. “I’m scared that I’m never going to be able to forgive my mother .I hate that I hate her because there are so many people that don’t have mothers, right? So I feel like such a selfish bitch for hating my mother, but I can’t forgive her. I don’t know when and if I can ever forgive her.” I let out a ragged breath, feeling my cheeks moisten. “Fuck, when will this end?”

                Jace was silent for such a God damned long time. But suddenly, Jace’s grip on my hand tightened and he placed a kiss on the top of my head. “Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.” Jace whispered into my head, wiping away a tear with his free hand. “John Lennon.”

*

                I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring from my digital clock. I glanced over at the figure sleeping beside me, arms wrapped around my waist. Trying to make as little movement as possible, I pressed the ‘snooze’ button, not wanting to wake Jace up from his deep slumber. The clock read seven in the morning, the normal time that I’d wake up for school.

                I looked back at Jace, who was gently breathing in the crook of my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

                I decided to close my eyes and go back to sleep because I realized that I didn’t want to be anywhere but in Jace Wasson’s arms.