Predator and Prey

"Uhmm...Devon...I mean...Prince Devon, what are you doing here?",she stammered, "What can I do for you? Is there anything that I can assist you with...Your Highness"

He had a devilish smirk on his face in response to her comment. Then it disappeared and was replaced with a look of seriousness.

"I've been meaning to speak to you. About what happened between us the other night.", he said

"About what, Your Majesty? ", Suzanna said. She still had no idea what he was talking about and she wished he would just spit it out. She'd just had the most wonderful sleep and now she was being subjected to this interrogation. She was not in the mood for this right now. All she wanted to do was fall back into bed. Back to sleep on this wonderfully soft bed.

"I need you to forget what happened between us the other night. You and I can never f*ck again", said Devon

Suzanna didn't know what to say. She had expected something like this to happen since they had arrived at the palace and she had found out that he was of royal blood. Why would a Prince want to be with a lowly servant? She was sure that there were plenty of beautiful women around the palace who would be better suited to the Future King. And could provide him with all the sexual pleasure he desired. She wa sure plenty of women were practically falling at his feet. So why her?

"Well, I wasn't planning on it so there's no need for you to chastise me. You are free to be with whomever you wish", Suzanna declared.

"And so am I", she finished off. She had no intention of carrying on with this conversation. Prince Devon had made himself clear and so had she.

"Excuse me, what?", he huffed out.

Suzanna remained silent. Anger seemed to be boiling inside of him and he looked like he was going to explode any second.

" What did you just say to me?", he said angrily. He looked like he was going to punch a wall.

"I said we're both free to do whatever we wish"

He glared at her and walked out of the room wordlessly. She didn't even know what she did wrong. Why was he angry? There was no logical reason for his behaviour. She wholeheartedly agreed with everything he had said. She had thought they were on the same page. He had made himself very clear so why was he angry when she reiterated what he had said. Men!

She walked out of her room and headed to the kitchen. She would make herself useful today and take her mind off Devon. As soon as she stepped into the kitchen, all the kitchen staff turned and stared at her.

The head chef of the castle approached her."Who are you and what are you doing in my kitchen?"

" Hello, my name is Anna, I'm the servant of Prince Devon at his private cottage. Is there anything that I can help you cook. I have not been assigned a job as yet.", said Suzanna said.

"Very well. You may help us. We are very busy preparing for the grand feast for the party that will be held in the Prince's honour. This is a very big occasion and we will take all the help we can get. The Queen has requested that all the Prince's favourite meals be prepared. I will make sure this is the best feast this castle had ever had. You can help Aaron. He is stationed on the opposite end of the room. Go, go, GO. ", said  Oliver, the head chef. He sure was bossy. He walked with a sense of urgency and he ran the kitchen like a tyrant.

Suzanna followed a serious looking Aaron into the kitchen and proceeded to peel and then cut the vegetables as instructed. She tried to keep to herself and avoided talking to anyone. She didn't want to get close to anyone. She had to avoid making friends or getting attached at all costs. She just had to. This was to protect herself and those around her.

"So you're not from around here, am I right?, questioned Aaron while he continued with his task at hand which involved a complicated mix of different herbs and spices.

Suzanna refused to look at him. What was he asking her? Did he know she wasn't what she appeared to be? And HOW would he even find out. There was absolutely no way he knew anything about her. Maybe her father had planted spies in all the cities in the hopes of locating her and dragging her back home. But that involved too much planning and thought for someone like him.

So she calmly replied to Aaron, if that really was his real name, " How is that any of your business?." She then proceeded to chop the new set of vegetables that were passed to her. He looked at her astounded and didn't know what to say. Her attitude worked, he just spoke to her when necessary regarding the food. He avoided her as much as possible given  their work situation. ALL personal talk was completely avoided. Which was just the way she liked it. She didn't need someone prying into her personal life and finding out her secrets. She had hid them long enough.

She looked over at Aaron. He was actually quite handsome. His clean shaven face and bright engaging eyes. He was very popular around the kitchen. And a darn good chef she soon learned. Everyone was very eager to speak to him and get his opinion on whatever they were cooking. Her eyes drifted to the pot in the corner. The smell was wafting towards her and was utterly mouthwatering. She moved towards while Aaron was occupied on the far side of the room. She just had to have a taste. This place was turning out not to be so bad after all.

"Oh wow, this looks great", she thought, taking a large spoon and sneakily tasting just a little bit. It was absolutely amazing, but it need just one more thing, to take it to the next level. She just couldn't put her finger on it.

While she took another taste from the pot, Aaron headed back and stood staring at her.

"Is it not to your satisfaction?", he asked dryly clearly not enjoying someone messing with his dish.

"No, its great actually. It just needs a dash of paprika and a bit more salt, I think",she said shyly.

He looked at her and then without a word, took a sip of his creation. A few seconds passed.
"You're right", he said with an sombre look on his face.

He then smiled, "Not bad new girl", he said with a laugh, "Not bad at all"
She laughed out of relief. She had thought she would be in trouble.

From the corner of the kitchen, out of everyone's view, Prince Devon watched this exchange with a seething look on his face.
He didn't like what he saw.

Don't forget to vote and comment
Xoxo Sara