One

Jean woke up with a start. There was a short and stabbing pain in her chest as beads of sweat formed on her forehead. She sat from her bed, a hand on her chest. She shook her head at the old habit she had as a child.

She stood up from the bed as she stretched her back. She sighed as she sat in front of her mirror and brushed down her hair. Her eyes fell on the two puncture wounds that changed her life forever.

***

"Come here, little girl," the man said. She'd been running away from him but he found her. Jean watched as Andy shouted at the other vampires as she shot arrows at those who attacked their home.

She trembled as the man loomed over her. "I promise you, I won't hurt you, Jean." The man called her by her name, smiling down at her. She took a long hard look, trying to put where she had seen him, but she... couldn't remember.

He reached over to her. "No! Go away!" But what could a four-year-old do when a full-grown man took her? "Andy!" She screamed as the man carried her.

Andy turned her head and her eyes widened.

"Jean!"

The older girl tried to catch up with them, dodging the arms reaching at her to stop her. She shot an arrow from the bow she was holding, but she almost missed, only grazing the man holding Jean on the arm. Two more vampires jumped in front of the blonde, blocking her.

"Andy!" She screamed as the figure shrunk in the distance.

The man brought her to an old building, almost identical to where they lived. Where Taylor took her family so they could all be together.

"Tay-Tay," she sobbed. The man went to a room where another man stood, his hands clasped together on his back as he watched from the window.

"Sir, the child is here."

He turned and she thought she recognized him. He looked like her aunt Camille. He smiled and showed his vampire fangs. Jean's body shook in fear.

"Good work, Ethan. Now, go and take care of my dear niece down there."

The man left her with the vampire.

"So, Taylor loves you so much, doesn't she?"

"Who are you?"

"Her uncle." Then he grabbed her by the shoulder and bit on her neck.

***

Jean's hand flew on the side of her neck as if she felt his fangs sink into her skin again. Years had already passed, yet the sensation still felt like it was yesterday, and the puncture wound never really closed. A reminder of what she had become.

She shook her head as if the action would merely remove how she... died.

She went down and looked for her mothers. The two women who raised her as their own.

Jean saw Andrea shooting arrows at a target, hitting all the bullseye with the bow she named Seeker, while Taylor sat at the edge of the lake as rays of the setting sun touched her, illuminating her pale skin. She had her eyes closed but she knew the woman. She was trying to sense everyone and everything around her.

The blonde flicked her eyes towards her and gave her a warm smile before shooting an arrow without looking. She rolled her eyes at her mother.

"Show off."

"It's pure talent, little one," she greeted her with the endearment she and Taylor had called her since she was just a child.

She looked at Taylor only to find the brunette looking lovingly at her wife, a soft and fond smile on her face. It was the same love and affection she had for years for the woman, it never once faltered but only got strong with time. And Jean would sometimes get jealous. They found each other in their teenage years, and here she was, in her mid-twenties and still mateless.