Chapter 5 - Dementors Attack

Ron followed Harry back out into cool night air where they turned down past Honeydukes to where Harry had apparated around the corner.  The small duplex was empty as Harry and Ron crossed the small empty courtyard when a familiar chill crept over them.

“Harry, do you feel that?” Ron asked.

“They can’t be here.”

“But it has to be them.”

“Watch the skies, they must be nearby, hiding in the shadows and darkness.”

“Wand at the ready?”

“Way ahead of you.” Harry said, pointing his wand in front of him.  “Lumos.”

Ron followed suit, lighting his wand tip and scanning the now brightened area.  Still no sign of the Dementors.

“Where can they be?” Ron asked.

“Behind the gate?”

“Up there!” Ron shouted as cries from somewhere above them could be heard.

Four Dementors were skating down from the skies, with more not far behind them.  Two of them were caught up with Ginny and Hermione’s Patronus’ as Harry and Ron took on the rest.

“Expecto Patronum!” Harry bellowed, his stag Patronus cantering around the courtyard before bowling over the Dementor’s headed their way.

“Inside!” Ron shouted, sending his Patronus after two newcomers.  “Upstairs.”

The girls were standing by the sole window in the living room, calling out to their Partonus’ as the Dementors came back for a fresh attack.  Harry picked up a small watering can, for Hermione’s indoor plants, and enchanted it to become a Portkey.

“Right, gather round, everyone.” Harry called to the others.

“Where exactly is that taking us?” Hermione asked, eyeing the Portkey dubiously.

“Don’t look at me like that, Hermione.  I know how to work a Portkey charm.  It’ll take us back to Godric’s Hollow.”

“There’ll probably be more at your house if this is a personal attack.” Ron muttered angrily.

“I said it was taking us to Godric’s Hollow, not to my house.  We’ll literally be five inches away from the disapparition spot if we need to use it.”

Ginny was the first to put a finger on the little green can, after Harry of course, Ron added his own finger and so did a rather reluctant Hermione.  The Portkey took them exactly where Harry had told it to, much to his friends’ surprise.

“Oh, ye of little faith.” He scolded them.

“Do you think they’re here?” Ginny asked.

“Let’s go find out.”

“What do we do if they’re there?” Hermione asked.

“We go to the Burrow.” Ron said hesitantly.  “Then get in touch with the Ministry, let them know they’ve missed a couple of Dementors during their raids.”

“Strength in numbers?” Harry muttered more to himself.

“Something like that.” Ron agreed.

The little row of cottages was quite dark and empty, as they neared number nine, however, where Harry and Ginny lived, they stopped in their tracks watching with horror as the darkness in Harry’s front garden seemed to move.