Meeting the Family

Start from the beginning

At least ten minutes had to have passed before I was finally able to clean myself up, stripping down before entering the shower. I turned the water on the hottest setting that I could stand, gripping the soap in my hand. I allowed the searing water to work out the knots underneath my skin before rubbing the soap along my body. It wasn't scented. Turning my back to the shower head, I leaned back gingerly and let my hair be drowned in water as well.

The clothing that Sage had given me were about two sizes too big. There was a pair of camouflage pants that luckily sat on my hips when I pulled them on, a white long-sleeve shirt of which the sleeves just barely reached past my fingertips, undergarments, and a pair of black boots similar to what she had been wearing. I waited to put those on, remembering that she'd said she would have to re-bandage my feet.

Pulling in a shuddering breath, I ran a hand through my dripping, dark chocolate hair before exiting the bathroom. I slowly returned the way that Sage had shown me, returning to the sort of living room where she sat in a simple wooden chair placed next to a dirt brown couch. There were piles of food scattered around, mostly what we had collected from the gas station.

She seemed to be packing them into boxes. She had taken off the jacket she'd been wearing when I'd first met her. She wore a grey tank top that exposed her arms, which had a layer of muscle on them, but not enough to be masculine and her toffee nut skin was bronzed from probably working out in the sun a lot. Her hair was a golden copper color that lightened at the ends, the right side shaved low to a point just behind her ear, the rest less than shoulder length. With her closer and the hood gone, I could now see her eyes better; they weren't just blue as I'd previously thought, but a mixture of the palest blue imaginable and faded grey.

"Sit," She gestured to the couch, lifting a first aid kit that had previously been hidden behind the leg of the chair. I did as I was told, having to pass her before lowering myself onto the couch. Gently, she lifted my left leg onto her lap, a roll of gauze in her hand.

As she wrapped my foot, I twiddled my thumbs nervously. Cooper was out of sight, but I could hear his claws clicking around on the wooden floor somewhere nearby.

Sighing, she rolled her eyes. "Just go ahead and ask already."

"What's going on? How do you already have all of this stuff? What's going to happen to me? Who are you?" I blurted out the questions. She waited until I was done to answer, switching to the other foot.

"My name is Sage, as I told you previously, and I won't hurt you. That's all you need to know about me. What's going on, there has been an outbreak of a virus, and it's spread rather quickly." She paused, untangling the gauze so that she could wind it all the way up to my toes. "It started about four weeks ago, where it originated still undetermined. Some believe that it spread so quickly through tainted red meat, but," She shrugged. "I have my doubts. The virus causes the brain to swell and become damaged until it ultimately shuts down, but the body doesn't."

I refused to believe it. "What is the government doing?"

"Multiple cities have been shut down, although the federal government is still trying to reign in the chaos, last I heard. They're dispatching the military in hopes that it'll help, but again, I have my doubts." Shaking her head, she lowered my foot to the ground, packing the gauze back into the first aid kit. The cool wood helped numb them. "It won't work. People are panicking, which is never good. Cities are like lunch boxes as people try to crowd out all at once, clogging up the highways. They'll become easy meals for the undead. A lot of the things you see, I accumulated before the outbreak. I'm just building up supplies; there's no telling when this will end. What you saw at that gas station is only the beginning." Her voice grew grim.

I wanted to believe that she was insane, that none of this was actually happening. But I couldn't deny what I'd seen with my own eyes. Oblivious to my turmoil, she continued.

"I'd be remiss if I kicked you out without asking if you'd like to stay, seeing as you're only a kid. You can stay here if you wish to, but you'll have to pull your weight."

I hesitated, too afraid to meet her intense gaze. "What does that consist of exactly?"

Deep down, I knew, and I think she knew as well that it didn't really matter. There was no place I could go that I would be better off.

"Well, as a start, you'll have to learn to defend yourself, both with hand to hand combat and guns. When I think you're ready, you'll have the choice of going out on runs with me, or you'll stay here and tend to the crops with Jason. Until further notice, we ration everything, including water. This farm has it's own source of electricity and running water, but showers are limited to one every three days just in case."

"I'd like to stay, thank you," I spoke softly, and she nodded, leaning forward to continue her previous task.

"Are you hungry?"

I shook my head. "No. I'd just like to go to bed, if that's alright."

Nodding, she rose to her feet, brushing off her pants. "Alright. Follow me."

Feeling fatigued beyond belief, I treaded lightly on my sore feet as I followed her down a different hall than the one the bathroom was in, stopping in the middle of it but not near any of the doors. Just as I opened my mouth to question her, she reached to the ceiling and grasped a string that I hadn't even noticed, yanking down a hatch that extended into a ladder.

Gesturing up into the pitch black hole, she stood aside. "There's a string right as you get to the top that you pull to turn on the light. The left side of the room is sectioned off; don't go in there. Otherwise, there are spare blankets in the right corner of room and a small cot already made up for you."

"Thank you," I mumbled genuinely, looking up at her though she wasn't that much taller than me. "For everything."

Looking away, she nodded blankly. "Yeah, sure."

My eyebrows furrowed faintly before I clambered up the ladder, immediately getting hit in the face with another string bottomed with a black bead. I yanked it, a burst of light illuminating the corners of the room.

Pushing my hands out of the sleeves, I blinked, looking around. It was a decently sized attic, the floors blanketed in soft dark blue carpet instead of hardwood. There was a window on the wall directly opposite to me that looked out over the driveway; outside, the sun was beginning to set. The ceiling was shaped like the top of the house, slopping down the sides to form the triangular top. True to Sage's word, the left side of the room didn't end in a sharp corner like the right side did; instead, there was a crudely cut board of wood blocking off that entire corner, the entrance, a small doorway, covered by a white sheet.

Curiosity immediately spawned within me, but as I was painfully conscious of Sage's presence still at the bottom of the ladder, I made my way over to the small twin bed resting in the corner next to the blankets. It had a clean white sheet on it, and I wondered why it was up here.

Had she done it while I was in the shower, or had it already been here?

Shrugging, I lowered myself onto the mattress, a sigh escaping my lips as my weight was taken off of my sore feet. It seemed the moment I finally had a chance to stop and think, everything that had happened so far weighed down on me like an anvil. My limbs felt like lead, and tears pricked at my eyes painfully but I was too exhausted to even cry.

I didn't bother with the blankets, as I was already overheating, nor did I bother to look for a pillow. Laying my head on my arms, I shut my eyes and was out like a light.