Chapter 10

Ever since the day we had both basically confessed our feelings for one another, Y/N had gone back to her quiet days where she would barely mutter a word to me. I tried to go back to treating what I had come here for in the first place but it was like she just didn't want to cooperate any longer. She began to blackout more often, but I was both glad and disappointed in a way when she wouldn't go after me. Now her blackout episodes consisted of trying to put a hole in the wall with her fists.

It was almost time for her to go back to live at the facility but I honestly didn't want her to. I wanted her to stay with me. It was selfish to think of but it was what I had wanted. I knew I would be able to still be around her when I was working at the facility but it wasn't ever going to be the same again. I had to start at square one again, and that wasn't something I was looking forward to since we had actually made some sort of process before all of this happened. I still didn't know where we stood regarding her parents but so far nothing had happened since the first incident, and it was actually making me quiet anxious. I was expecting them to do something any day now.

To bring me out of my confusing thoughts, my phone vibrated in my hand which effectively startled me. I looked down to see that Ally had sent me a message, claiming that she wanted Y/N back at the facility before dark. It was almost five o'clock in the afternoon, so the sun would be setting in about an hour or two. I sighed to myself and stood up from my bed, heading into the living room where I knew Y/N was. When I made it, the taller girl was sitting on the couch while looking down at her lap where she was fiddling with her fingers. "Ally said she would like you back at the facility within the next two hours or so. Do you want to leave now or wait?" I asked quietly, hoping she would opt to stay for a while so maybe I could talk to her more.

"I would like to go now." Y/N spoke quieter than I had, making it hard to hear what she was saying. Of course she wanted to leave, why would she want to stay? I basically crushed her dreams and now I was forcing her to stay in a place she didn't want to be in. I sighed to myself again and sadly nodded my head, going to grab my keys before I slipped on some shoes. By the time I reemerged into the living room, Y/N was already waiting with a couple bags full of the clothes I had gotten her. I tried to help the taller girl with her bags but she quickly grabbed all of them before I could even touch one.

My heart clenched at the action but I tried not to let it affect me. I cleared my throat and lead Y/N out of the apartment to the car where she insisted on putting her bags away by herself in the back seat. I stayed quiet, allowing her to do so as I slid into the driver's seat. When she came to situate herself in the passenger's seat, I started the car and took off towards the facility. I didn't even try to make any conversation because I knew Y/N wouldn't fall for it. The drive seemed much longer than it originally was and eventually when we had arrived, Y/N got out to get her belongings once again. I sighed for what seemed like the hundredth time before getting out and meeting the taller girl by the entrance. As we walked inside, the new receptionist looked up and offered a small smile. "Hello Camila, this is my patient, Y/N. Y/N, this is Camila." I introduced the two. 

"Hello, Y/N. How are you?" Camila asked after a moment of awkward silence. Her question came out almost slow, like she didn't know how to approach the subject. I looked up at the taller girl to see her with an eyebrow raised. There was a touch of incredulousness in her look but I couldn't understand why. After another beat, the younger girl responded to the receptionist in a way I wouldn't have expected.

"I'm not retarded, you don't have to talk to me like I don't understand you." Y/N responded and my eyes widened in surprise. I couldn't believe she would say something like that to someone she didn't even know. In a way though, I could understand where she was coming from. All her life she's had to deal with people treating her like she wasn't a person. She was treated like a disease, or something to stay away from, to be scared of. I could tell even Camila was taken aback by Y/N's words, as she lowered her head while muttering an apology.