2.

Tevin Booker

Tevin Booker

Who knew bringing Talia to see our dad would bring us closer together? Though I'm not sure if we could get any closer, I'm just happy that we buried the hatchet.

"Thank you for bringing me to see dad. I didn't realize how much I've missed him until I actually saw him for the first time in years." She beamed.

"No problem. Like I said, you deserve to see him just as much as me, if not more."

"You're right about that, but now it's my turn to take you somewhere." She said.

"Where?" I asked.

"Go to 35th Street." 35th Street? Why does that sound so familiar? I know I've heard of her going to this place before, but what was so important at this particular location?

"What's there?"

"You'll see when we get there. Now stop asking me a bunch of questions and drive."

*

Pulling into the parking lot, I stared at an abandoned looking building with my a deep frown on my face.

"Is this supposed to be a joke?" I asked her.

"No nigga! This is my favorite place in the entire world. Before I ran off with you, my last foster mom brought me here every Wednesday for a mommy/daughter painting class. I hadn't been here in years, but I just started coming back a couple of months ago." She said, climbing out of the car. I got out as well and checked my surroundings, making sure we weren't being watched or followed. She grabbed my hand and pulled me inside the building, leading me into a big, open room. There were paintings along the walls, some looked really nice while the others looked like a toddler finger painted them. "Mom?"

"Hey my sweet baby! Here for our mother/daughter class?" A slim, white woman said, sipping on a glass of wine. Wait...did she just call this woman mom? Aw hell naw.

"Of course, but I brought someone I want you to meet. Tevin, this is Ilene. My foster mom. Mom, this is my brother, Tevin." She said, introducing us.

"It is so nice to finally meet you. Talia talks about you non stop!" Ilene said, shaking my hand.

"Nice to meet you too." I mumbled. For some odd reason, I was put into a really awkward position. Knowing that I came for Talia in the middle of the night, taking her away from a woman that was clearly a better fit for her then I was back then.

"Are you staying for the painting class?"

"Who me? Naw...painting isn't really my thing." I said, laughing a little.

"How do you know it isn't your thing if you've never tried it?" Talia asked me. Just seeing how happy and glowing she was right now made me happy as well. I haven't seen this outgoing, bubbly girl in years. I was use to the hardcore, foul mouth Talia, that said whatever she wanted.