Chapter Twenty-Nine: Last Call

"What's up, sis?" I asked, phone tucked into the crook of my neck as I walked my empty cup and cereal bowl to the sink. Sam and Cassidy had left about an hour ago to do a grocery and supply run. She was probably just calling to get a final count on things we needed.

"Rae," Cassidy's voice shook, making me freeze, "Rae," She breathed, "Are you there?" I could feel the fear in each trembling word.

"Cass, where are you?" I couldn't control the rapid beat of my heart.

"I can't see anything," Her voice hiccuped, "Please," She whimpered, "She's going to kill me Rae. Oh my god, she finally did!" My heart ached as her cry echoed through the speakers.

"She isn't goi-"

"She shot Sam! I heard his body hit the ground," Cassidy sobbed, "Rae, I, I don't know if he's alive. I-" Another cry pried itself from her body, "What if he's gone-"

No. No. No! This was not happening again!

I swallowed down the agonizing terror that was ripping my chest open.

"Cass," I whispered, "Cass, I need you to focus,"

"I'm so scared," Her breath was ragged.

"I know sis, I know." I reassured her, bracing my shaking legs against the counter, "You can do this." She waited for me to continue, "What do you smell?"

"Sulfur and Gas," She murmured.

"Good, what do you feel?"

"We are moving fast, in a car or van, and rough carpet. I think I'm in the trunk. I, I don't know where Sam is." Her voice hitched again.

"It's okay sis, just focus on what you can sense," I wiped the tears from my eyes, "What else?"

"I can hear talking. It sounds like a woman and maybe two guys. I don't know though." My mind was reeling. Just this morning Castiel had re-branded everyone's ribs with warding. It had felt like my rib cage had been run over by the Impala, but it was a powerful spell. I could take the pain if it meant that we were all a little safer. How did she even find them? They weren't in the Impala, and had taken a different route into town. I cursed myself for not going with them.

Don't be an idiot, you had no idea that this would happen.

"Cass, stay on the line. Do you still have that tracking program?"

"Yeah, but-"

"Okay, let me get your computer," I hurried to the den, rummaging through papers and books.

"Rae-"

"Hold tight sis, its okay. I just have to find it. We will be right behind you guys. I swear-" The panic was getting worse; I couldn't find her laptop.

"Rae!" Her whisper shout cut me short, "You can't...I had my computer with me." My legs gave out, and I braced myself on the oak desk.

"I'll find another one," my words came out in puffs of desperation, "Cass I'll-" There was background noise.

"Rae!" She cried, "We are stopping." The sound of a car door slamming made me jump, "One is coming..." Her voice increased in pitch, "Rae, I want you to know-" the sound of the trunk opening was cut off by a gruff man's voice. "Please." Cassidy's voice raised, "No! Stop! Please!"

"Cass? Cassidy?" A scream cut through the silence, sending all the hair on my arms on end. "Cassidy!" There was a shuffling sound and then the line when dead. "Cassidy?" I pulled the phone from my ear as the dial tone sent my blood cold. Tears streaming down my face, I stared at the flashing numbers that comprised the call time in dismay. The air wouldn't leave my lungs. I felt the weight of possibility pressing down on my chest, threatening to pop my lungs like overfilled balloons.