Chapter 9: Feeding

"What happened?" Mark wondered, sitting up. He was lying on a bed, and Valerie and her vampire were standing there watching him. Vladimir handed him a mug of hot something. He took it because he was very hungry. It did not quench his hunger completely, but it made it bearable. He had a terrible urge to just bite into Valerie.

Just as he was ready to lunge at her, Vladimir restrained him. He struggled and snapped his teeth at her, but she merely looked sad, not afraid.

"Mark think! You don't want to hurt Valerie. Not really. The blood isn't worth it. It's not worth it." Vladimir said firmly. "Valerie, get some more of that hot blood for him. He's still hungry obviously."

Valerie nodded and left the room. She quickly returned and brought another steaming mug of blood. This one almost burnt Mark's throat going down, but it helped to satisfy his terrible hunger. Vladimir nodded at Valerie and she went and retrieved a third mug of blood. Mark quickly downed that too.

"That's enough for now. I forgot how hungry you are when you first wake up." Vladimir said in slight amazement.

"And you've never sired another vampire before?" Valerie asked.

"Not before now, no." Vladimir replied.

"Am I a vampire?" Mark wondered groggily.

"No, you're gulping down blood because you're going through a phase." Vladimir said sarcastically.

"Vladimir!" Valerie protested. "Be more sensitive!"

"So I am a vampire. What happened?" Mark wondered.

"You drank from the spring. It kills normal humans. Vladimir drank your blood and gave you some of his. Serena was very upset." Valerie told him.

"Serena! Crap, what is she going to say?" Mark thought aloud.

"She'll have to come to terms with it." Vladimir said.

"What am I going to do?" Mark asked.

"You will continue life as before. You just ran away for three days because some teen drama was happening or whatever. Valerie will bring you blood for lunch at school, and you will feel very mild unease in sunlight." Vladimir told him.

"And I just go home?" Mark wondered.

"Yes. You're lucky vampires heal quickly with little or no scarring. Otherwise you would easily be found out through a bite scar on your neck." Vladimir mentioned. "I doubt you could pass it off as a hickey."

"Good. This isn't going to be something I'm proud of." Mark muttered.

"You'll get used to it eventually." Vladimir assured him.

Mark looked away from Valerie and Vladimir. "Thank you for saving me." he said.

Valerie smiled. "I'm just glad you're okay.

"I hope you value your life well now. I could have a lot of trouble from the townsfolk if they find out that you're a vampire. It's not like it would be hard to know who had done it." Vladimir said.

"I won't talk about it, believe me." Mark assured him.

"You should probably go home now and feed the lies to your parents." Valerie suggested.

"I'll do that." Mark said. Valerie saw him out.

"Valerie, I have to write a letter to the Council. They need to know that I have sired an heir. I'm also going to warn them that if they ever harm you, I will personally visit each and every one of them and raise Hell itself." Vladimir told her.

"Mark's your heir? Like if someone killed you, he would get your house and Anton?" Valerie asked, frowning in her confusion.

"And my powers would be added to his. He will develop some of my powers, some sooner, like my immunity to sunlight, others later, like my ability to create forcefields and drain life force. He would be much stronger if I were dead. But I think it would be best to keep that knowledge from him." Vladimir said.

"I agree. Not that I don't trust him, but it would kill me if you died." Valerie told him.

Vladimir could not disguise his elated smile. "Do you mean that?"

"Don't sound so gloomy about me plotting suicide, jeez." Valerie said, rolling her eyes.

"You never said suicide! I thought you meant metaphorical or emotional death! You are not allowed to commit suicide, no matter what happens to me or anyone else!" Vladimir said in a harsh voice. He grabbed her arm roughly. "Do you understand?!"

"Ow, Vlad, that hurts!" Valerie cried, trying to twist out of his grip. He just tightened his hold.

"Promise me!" Vladimir demanded.

"I won't!" Valerie cried as he squeezed her arm. She was crying now, slumping to the floor.

Vladimir seemed to realize what he was doing to her and released her like she burned him. "Valerie, I-I can't even begin to-I'm so sorry."

Valerie was still sobbing wretchedly and she had instinctively scrambled away from Vladimir when he released her. He approached her, and after an initial flinch, she allowed him to embrace her.

"I'm sorry Valerie, but the thought of you dead just..." Vlladimir trailed off with a shudder.

"I'm going to die. You should get used to that idea." Valerie warned him.

"I won't let you die." Vladimir said simply.

Valerie rolled her eyes, and her sobs lessened. "And how do you plan to achieve that goal?"

"You can feed off me and share my lifespan. I'll keep you healthy and young." Vladimir promised her.

"I don't think so. I'm not going feed off of you to be immortal. I just want to be a normal human, and live with you for as long as I can." Valerie said.

"I can make you." Vladimir said, a hint of threat returning to his voice.

Valerie looked afraid. "How?"

Vladimir just stared into her eyes before he lunged for her. He kissed her passionately, holding her head in place when she tried to withdraw. He felt a tug from her lips, and he knew he was weakening. He could feel the power flowing between them as it moved from his body to hers. The feeling was incredible and highly euphoric. It was comparable to climaxing. He got hard very quickly. It wasn't until Valerie's hands pushed at his chest that he remembered she needed to breathe. He reluctantly withdrew.

Valerie was almost glowing with vibrancy. Apparently her Leechy self was very satisfied with his energy. He was surprisingly shaky after the kiss, and he felt like he wanted another. He was going to move in to steal another, but the glare Valerie was giving him made him think twice.

"I will not act like a Leech!" she spat the words at him. "I'm not going to steal your power just so I can be immortal. It isn't right. I don't steal."

"It's not stealing, I'm giving it to you!" Vladimir protested.

"I'm not taking your power." Valerie told him flatly, and she stormed away, slamming the door to her room so hard it was heard throughout the house.

"Damn, maybe that wasn't such a good idea." Vladimir reflected solemnly.\

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 more chapters to go :)))