1 - Ike

Ding.

     My phone makes a noise from my pocket as I wait for the bus, and if it weren't for human curiosity, I'd wait until on the bus to check it, so my fingers won't freeze. But I guess my curiosity is just too strong to resist the potential freeze bite. I slide off my glove and cram it into my coat pocket, and check what the notification was for.

     Instagram
     wiltedhumanity just posted a photo

     I press it, unlock my phone, and am greeted with the same style of photo+strange caption as always. It's a simple picture of fairy lights surrounding the frame of a white board, which reads, "We're all just kids." The lights give off a nice, warm tone, yet the mood of the image is oddly sad.

     I notice that his handwriting is quite nice. It's easily readable, but doesn't look as if he tried to make it particularly neat. I like that.

     He always has the most cryptic captions on his Instagram pictures. Even if it's as simplistic as a coffee pot, the caption will make you feel like you're solving some type of riddle that there is no answer to, or as if you're going through Kanye West's or Jaiden Smith's Twitter.

     This post isn't an exception to his rule of thumb. The caption is simply, "careful." No context, just "careful." The word itself means so little, yet, here Firkle is, making me think of every possible meaning to this caption.

     When the bus pulls up (almost eight minutes late, might I add), I've thought about the stupid caption for so long, that my mind has drifted to if everybody thinks so critically about these types of things. As I sit down in one of the last completely empty seats, I try to put other people in my shoes.

     Would Tricia see this, and then spend five to ten minutes thinking about what it means?

     No, she wouldn't.

     Would Karen?

     The chances are higher than Tricia, but I don't think so.

     Would Fillmore?

     No doubt about it, definitely not.

     Should I?

     I don't know.

//

350 words