Chapter Eighteen: Submission

Start from the beginning

     I held in a petrified sob and scrambled to my weak feet. I felt like collapsing at any second, like my legs had turned to jelly. I ran inside, my hand pressed to my mouth. I felt sick. I wanted to scream and cry.

     My wolf hearing picked up his next words, even though I was inside. "This is your last chance. Submit now, or I will kill you." His voice was deathly calm and flat, sending shivers down my spine.

     "No." The man strained out. "Your father was right, you aren't fit to be Al-"

     SNAP.

     His voice cut off and I heard a small thud. My mouth dropped open in shock. Percyus just killed that man. I felt tears fall from my eyes and onto my cheeks. It was my fault. If I hadn't been such a useless slut I wouldn't have made him call me all those names. If I wasn't in this pack I wouldn't have even been in their way and someone else would've stepped in and nobody would've been killed.

     My nails scrapped deep into my arms, leaving three bloody streaks down my wrist. I was about to continue when I suddenly remembered the promise I had made. I had promised to not punish myself. A promise can't be broken. I broke it.

     A deep sinking feeling dropped down my stomach, making my blood pound in my ears. I immediately pulled my sleeve down over my arm. If Percyus saw, he'd probably be so disappointed in me. I didn't know what physical punishment came with breaking a promise, but I knew it wouldn't be good. I'd most likely be whipped until they could see every bone in my back.

     I let out a sob just thinking about how bad it would hurt. And how disappointed he would be in me, the look he would give me; sadness, anger... I was so ashamed of myself. How could I be so careless? How could I forget my promise? He never forgot his.

     Through my quiet sobs I heard Percyus again, "I'm so sorry, Damien." He whispered his voice sounding thick. "You were very brave, a great warrior, and a good friend. Rest in peace." Then I heard him get up.

     I scrambled to my feet and wiped at my eyes to rid any trace of my tears away. I stood to the side, making sure my arm was covered by the dark sleeve of his shirt he had lent me. The door to the porch opened slowly, the hinges screeching in protest. I felt my legs tremble and quiver.

     Percyus ducked through the door, the man whom he had just killed rested in his arms. I was stunned to silence and bowed my head in respect for the dead man. Percyus's eyes were rimmed with red and he sniffed, "Calla, will you please go help the man outside? I have some things I need to take care of."

     I immediately nodded, "Yes, sir." I all but ran passed him and out the door.

     I spotted the bleeding man in the same spot he had been in before, only this time more blood was coating him. I rushed to his side and feel to my knees as he made an attempt to get up, groaning in pain.

     "No, sir, please don't try to get up on your own!" I urged, lightly pressing on his shoulders to get him to lay down.

     He shoved my hands off of him, "I'm fine!" He growled, his shove making me fall onto my butt.

     I tried not to get hurt my his comment and act like the sensitive baby I was. He needed help, there was no way he could get up by himself, and even if he did, his concussion would make him pass out. "Sir, please let me help you."

     "I said I'm fine!" He snapped. "Will you just shut up and leave me alone?"

     I stayed quiet, however not leaving. I hated to disobey him, but I hated to disobey Percyus even more. Disobeying Percyus would have much more severe consequences. I was already in enough trouble.