Part 1

I heard quiet beeping noises on my right. No, my left. I tried to open my eyes, but the bright lights overhead made them sting. After a couple of minutes, I was able to see my surroundings. White walls, that clean hospital smell. I tried to lift up my arm to rub my eyes. No response. I tried again. I looked down at my once muscular body. I saw only a pale, limp figure that was me. Me. Opal Elizabeth Strom. I glanced out through the door that was ajar and someone in scrubs pass my room, pause and run to the front desk. Ten minutes later my mother came, ran into my room and hugged and kissed me. A fresh batch of tears brimmed over her already swollen eyes. It was evident that she had been crying. My father walked in a couple seconds later.

"Sweetheart," my mother crooned.

I cleared my throat, "Hey, Mom."

"Good Lord," my father muttered.

"What...what happened?" I furrowed my brow.

My mother glanced at my father, who then looked at me, and back at her.

"Honey, you were in a coma for six months."

I blinked hard. Only one word escaped my dry lips, "Why?"

She looked back at him again, but this time he just stared at his feet.

"You were hit by a drunk driver coming home from a date." My father said softly.

"Where is Joel?" I swallowed.

"Why don't you get some rest? You look tired," my mother said quickly. I could always tell when she was hiding something from me. She was a terrible liar.

"From the sound of it, I was in a coma for six months. I think I've caught up on my sleep, thank you very much. Mom, where is Joel?" I said, trying to sound intimidating. With my mother, it didn't take much to squeeze a bit of information out of her.

"Opal, Joel is dead."

This time, it wasn't gossip I was getting out of my mother, it was grave news.

"This isn't true. It can't be. You're joking. Did he put you up to this? It's sure a hell not funny."

"I know it's hard, but--"

"No," I interrupted loudly. Her eyes teared up again and she left the room, my father following suit.

This was when it all sank in. The reality of it all. I couldn't remember what happened and I was immobile. I sobbed and wailed in my hospital bed. Comfort and sleep would not come, but morning did. One of the nurses came in to check on me. She gave me the look. The look of empathy for my loss. I hated that look, but I knew I was going to be receiving a lot of them in the months to come.

Over the next few months, I had learned to walk, write, and do almost everything, except lift weights over 30 pounds, but that was ok with me. I wasn't going to be doing a whole lot of lifting for the next few years. Hopefully, anyway.

Since it was early summer, my mother and I thought it would be a good idea if I stayed with my aunt Iris for the summer months, while my mother straightened out things with the Board of Education. I really didn't want to redo sophomore year. The sea breeze would do me good. So, I packed my bags and headed to Bandon, Oregon. The calm weather made me almost miss Phoenix. Almost. Who in their right mind, would pass up a beachy experience in order to stay in Arizona, one of the most godforsaken and hot states I have ever lived in? I was so glad to ditch the blistering hot, monsoon raining, dust devil making state I called home.

Here is another one of my stories. all my besties have read it, and they love it. hopw you do to!

Love,

meeeeee.........