23. turn up the mischief

Karim's POV

The little accident that I caused didn't delay our departure in any way. It seemed to be doing the exact opposite to be truthful, I and Mr Ambrose did everything with double speed to keep our bodies warm.

Our guide survived through his sickness but he was too weak to participate with our voyage. Mr Remmings came to show us the way we should be heading to our group and sprinted back to the slightly warmer temperature in the ship.

Mr Ambrose didn't wait for the rest of us but took his luggage and set out into the icy, endless trails of nothing other than cold. "Karim, stay at the back to make sure we wouldn't lose our guest, her family could charge me for her funeral." The bitter tone of his voice was able to cut through any sort of thoughts I was having and made us all spring into action. "As you wish, sahib."

"That's a change, sir, last time I remember you wanting to stay behind me instead of Karim." The ifrit giggled and Patsy gave her friend a questioning look. "At least you won't be too warm here." I added with a sight of relief.

"Learn to expect the unexpected, Karim." My employer scolded me with no ounce of humour in his voice. It probably wasn't meant as a joke. I shuddered at the awful memories of the ifrit in the jungle. Mr Ambrose was right, you can't expect anything from the crazy human being.

The hours sneaked by as if trying not to disturb the block of ice that was leading our expedition. My clothes seemed to have frozen to my body, letting any idea of having a semi-comfortable hike fly out of the window and free to shatter at the end of the descend. The women didn't seem to have any complains, at least not about the cold. The pair of them didn't shut up for more than a second before they began making their distaste to men know again. It was obvious what their true passion existed of.

All the while they were criticising the other sex I wondered what their conversation would consist of if said subject wouldn't exist. Maybe they wouldn't be even talking with each other any longer. My mind made stopped brewing as I realised the two troublemakers had stopped conversing. The smaller of the two went over to Mr Ambrose and I took bigger steps so I wouldn't have to strain my ears.

"Aren't you cold?" The ifrit asked.

It would almost seem as if she worried about him if she wouldn't have used that joyful tone that she uses whenever she's up to something bad.

"No." Came the brusque reply.

"Are you sure, Mr Ambrose?" The mischievous she was probably wearing came up in my mind and the big question that I've come known to came up yet again. What is she up to?

"I don't say things I don't mean, Mr Linton. Now stop wasting my time and go back to your friend." Now was the time for the innocent blinking with her eyes.

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Mr Ambrose's head turned to look at her and he gritted out between his teeth. "What is it?"

The grin must be splitting her face in two by now. "No, please, just ignore me sir, it isn't anything of big importance. You can't lose any money by it. So it isn't a big deal."

"Tell me what it is, Mr Linton, now!" Mr ambrose stopped and a hard wind chilled my bones. Billy the twitchy finger was doing its job and the wind around the four of us intensified.

"Well, after our adventure in Egypt I realized how little I knew of other countries, so I dug in and I'm sure you won't believe me." Her voice went more stern and now I was completely sure it was something important she was holding of us.

"I will decide what I will or won't believe, but you have to say it first." The snow was kicked up by the harsh wind and it flew into my eyes.

"Dear Mr Ambrose, there's a snow storm coming closer." The ifrit made a pirouette and clapped her hands. "Let's make a cam-"

The last letter of her sentence got cut off as I got blinded by more snow that hit my eyes and a gust of air that hit us even harder wasn't loud enough to cover a woman's shrill scream.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Hi everyone

It's a short update but at least it is one.

I'm sorry for not updating regularly guys, I did warn you, though.

Till next time, wish me luck with exams.

Bye