22. inadequately chilly

Karim's POV

Shouts on the ship woke me up and I couldn't have been any happier. "Land ahoy!" The two simple words were being repeated and made the ship come alive. As I came onto the deck everyone was running around and preparing the machine for its arrival at the shore. Mr Ambrose didn't waste any time either as he was shouting orders around for the crew to follow. I quickly adjusted my beard so it wasn't sticking out at an odd angle and approached him. Hey, don't judge, it has a life on his own when I fall asleep.

"Karim, make sure that everything is prepared for our journey." I nodded and muttered a firm "Of course, sahib." as answer whilst scanning the crowd for the two un-men on board. 

The pair stood out as the were looking out into the horizon to catch a glimpse of the seashore. They didn't even turn to face me as I approached them with my heavy footsteps giving away my presence. "Come on Karim, you heard the boss, don't come picking on us for enjoying the view." The ifrit sounded relaxed and put her hand above her eyes to shield them from the sun. I grumbled and cursed her as a response, after my ego healed from the ifrit's words and rude attitude I got to my job and prepared everything.

----------------

While I was carrying mine and Mr Ambrose's luggage I threw the secretary's one in her direction and didn't spare her a glance. She caught it and smiled sweetly in my direction. "Thank you, Karim, I've always known you're a gentleman at heart." I give the ifrit a look that would have any sane man running to the hills. "Manners are meant for ladies," I look around me as if I'm looking for something "I don't see any here."

The woman's smile turns even faker "You should cease these remarks because I don't think Patsy would take them as lightly as I do." Only hearing her name makes me cower away and a blush paint my cheeks. I need to get a grip on myself! With my back straightened and chest pushed forward I was about to retort but a certain someone cut me off. "Lilly is right, if I wasn't obligated to leave my parasol on the ship I would show you exactly how hard I can swing it at your pathetic head."

A shudder passed through my body and I reminded myself that a man such as myself shouldn't cower from a little English lady. One that I was sure had much force in her arms but still a lady. 

I shouldn't have doubted her force because as she didn't see the effect she wanted -the fear on my face -she came to stand in front of me and poked my chest with her finger. "Don't underestimate me, you should know that I was the one who taught her how to beat a man up."

Her words didn't register in my head because our proximity was the thing that clouded my mind. She must've seen that I wasn't going to pee in my pants and she caught up to what was being reflected by my eyes. Her angry expression dropped as did her hand. The air between us was buzzing with electricity, something that I haven't experienced before. 

It's as if time froze around us and we were in our own world. Patricia 's face seemed just one second away and the distance between us seemed to shrink. Her bright blue eyes looked through my soul and she looked as if she wanted me to do something. I want to please her every wish and give her all I could and even more. I leaned my face closer so the only thing that could fill the space was a slim leaf.

"Karim, you said you'd set everything up for our leaving." The icy tone of Ambrose ruined anything that was supposed to happen and a wave of disappointment filled my insides. 

Both me and Patricia took a step back and I hadn't realised how close I had been to the edge of the land as I did. There was no sound of snow crunching under my foot and I lost my balance. Toppling over I tried to grab anything in reach and ended up with a tailcoat in my firm grasp.

Mr Ambrose took a hopeless attempt at getting my hand to let loose but the two following splashes of water indicated that it was futile.

With much effort I managed to get to the surface of the frigid water that made chills run down my bones. "Karim?" The more that frisky voice made my blood run cold and I was preparing myself for the consequences. "Yes, sahib?"

"Next time you are about to fall into chilly water try using something that weights more than you do to hold on. Understood?" The glare he was giving me and the muscle that twitched in his jaw implied that he wasn't exactly pleased with the chilly water. I grumbled some reply and struggle to look for any way we'd be able to get out before we freeze to death and my employer will really turn into ice.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Hello,

As I must've mentioned in my earlier notes -my updates are as unique as rabbits on skateboards-

So bear with me!

And thanks to the people who stuck around!!!