TWENTY-TWO: ALL OVER

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: ALL OVER

THEY WERE ALMOST THERE WHEN STEVE REGAINED CONSCIOUSNESS

THEY WERE ALMOST THERE WHEN STEVE REGAINED CONSCIOUSNESS. Max was driving while everyone except Lucas was crammed in the back with Steve lying on top of them. For as skinny as he looked, he was heavier than Daniel thought he would be.

Squinting at Mike as he slowly awoke, he asked, "Nancy?"

Daniel snickered, refraining from saying anything but still laughing at the expression Mike made. The Wheeler boy was holding a container of gasoline as they drove towards where the center of the tunnels was. Daniel wasn't particularly fond of this plan, but even he knew it was the best thing they had. Steve reached for his most likely broken nose, but Dustin chastised him.

"No, don't touch it," the boy reprimanded, pulling the teenager's hand away. The teenager turned to look at Dustin, who mumbled, "Hey, buddy..."

"Took quite the hit," Daniel muttered, "Or, well, quite the hits."

"It's okay, you put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a fight," Dustin shushed and it took everything in Daniel not to laugh. He shouldn't laugh because his friend and his sister's almost-boyfriend just got the shit knocked out of him, but the aftermath, that being Steve's wild expressions, was weirdly hilarious.

Lucas gave directions to Max in the front seat, causing Steve to look up and realize who was driving. As any normal person would react, he asked, "What's going on? Oh, my God!"

"Just relax. She's driven before," Dustin chided, trying to get the boy to stop moving so he could keep the ice pack on his head. Daniel was kind of trapped as Steve was mostly laying on him, so he couldn't really move. Max sped up and Steve continued freaking out, everyone was talking over one another to Daniel just did what he did best and stayed silent. He was never really one to add on to pre-existing yelling, he hated yelling. He just grabbed Mike's hand that wasn't holding the gasoline and otherwise stayed still. After many rushed turns and lots of yelling, they stopped right in front of a hole in the ground. Everyone stumbled out of the car, Dustin and Lucas running to the trunk and pulling out what they were going to need. Everyone was handed a bandana and goggles.

"Mike, can you help me tie it?" Daniel asked, turning towards his boyfriend who already had his bandana on. Mike nodded and the curly-haired boy soon felt cool hands brushing against the back of his neck as the boy tied the piece of cloth. When he finished, Daniel asked in a whisper, "Do you actually think this is gonna work?"

Mike just shrugged, picking up the gasoline, "It has to."

He started to walk away, Steve asking, "Hey, where do you think you're going? Hey, what are you, deaf? We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear. Hey, there's no chance we're going to that hole, all right? This ends right now!"

However, no one was listening. Finally, Dustin said, "Steve, we get it, you're upset. But the bottom line is, a party member requires assistance and it is our duty to provide that assistance. Now, I know you promised Nance and Heather that you'd keep us safe. So, keep us safe."