THIRTEEN: A GAME OF UNO

VERONICA WAS IN DISBELIEF WHEN ONE OF THE LAB WORKERS walked her, Nancy, and Jonathan out of the lab and handed the latter the keys to his car

VERONICA WAS IN DISBELIEF WHEN ONE OF THE LAB WORKERS walked her, Nancy, and Jonathan out of the lab and handed the latter the keys to his car. Veronica half expected to die in there, if she was being honest. Especially since Doctor Owens had openly admitted to the 'accident' that was Barb Holland's death. As they walked out, Nancy nervously clutched Veronica's hand. They got to Jonathan's car, the Wheeler girl telling him to get in before pulling Veronica away from the vehicle.

"Hey," Nancy started in a whisper, Veronica looking at her with furrowed brows, "We have everything he told us recorded. We're going to take it to this investigator the Holland's hired to find Barb. We're gonna turn this whole fucked up operation on its head. I was wondering if-if you wanted to come with us. Heather can come, too, if she wants. I know you two don't usually go places without each other. But we're leaving like, right now, so I kind of need to know."

"Holy shit, seriously?" the brunette gasped, not expecting those words to come out of the girl's mouth, "Wait, does that mean I'll have to endure a long car ride with Byers?"

Nancy laughed, the serious mood dropped almost immediately, "He's not that bad, I swear. So, you're in?"

"Yeah, I'm in, let me talk to Heather, can we stop by her car on the way out, she should still be here."

And she was. She was leaning against the hood of her car with a cigarette pressed to her lips, looking worried and impatient. When they pulled up, Veronica got out of the car and Heather instantly pulled her into a tight hug.

"Holy shit, Ver! I thought you were dead or some shit!" The dark-skinned girl exclaimed, hugging her best friend tightly, "What the fuck happened in there?"

"All that matters is that Nancy and I kissed and also we're going on a high stakes mission to expose the local government for killing Barb," Veronica rushed out in one quick sentence, "Do you wanna come?"

Heather, however, only seemed to focus on the first part of the statement. She squealed uncharacteristically and pulled her best friend into another hug, "Oh, my God! You fucking kissed her? Was it good? Was it everything you dreamed of?"

All Veronica did was nod her head and Heather laughed, "Now what about exposing the government?"

"Barb's parents hired this investigator and we're going to get him to help us expose the shit that goes on in there. I'm talking phone surveillance, cover-ups, all that shit! I'm going with them, but Nancy said you could come, too, pretty please?" she asked, a puppy-dog look in her eyes and a killer pout. "I need my best friend with me."

"Shit, Ver, I gotta drive Daniel to school," Heather sighed, "I got homework and shit, my mom would kill me! Since last year you know she's been around all the time I was barely able to sneak out today and if the school calls saying I was absent you know she's gonna kick my ass. Plus, Jonathan's already gonna be enough of a cockblock, you don't need me there, too. Like you said earlier, this is something I think you gotta do on your own."