Chapter 20: Rebel Recon

Jon's eyes fluttered open as the beams of Endor's sunlight shone into the hut, passing over his face. He sat up. Han and Leia were nowhere to be seen. But Chewie crouched above Jon. Even in a kneeling position, the Wookiee towered over the boy. And the top of his head just barely missed banging against the hut's ceiling.

"Hey, Uncle Chewie," said Jon. "Good morning."

*Good morning, Jon,* said Chewie. *How do you feel? Did you sleep well? And how's your rib?*

"I feel pretty good," said Jon. "Yes, I did sleep well. And my rib barely hurts anymore. But where did Mom and Dad go?"

*They're having breakfast with 3-PO and the Ewoks,* Chewie replied. *Are you hungry, Jon?*

"Yes," said Jon. "Come on, Uncle Chewie. Let's go eat." Jon and Chewie exited the hut, and headed for the center of the village. Han and Leia were helping the Ewoks prepare breakfast.

"Hi, Mom, hi, Dad," Jon said as he walked up to them.

"Hey, Jon," said Han.

"How do you feel?" asked Leia.

"I'm good, Mom," said Jon.

"That reminds me, I need to change your bandages and check your temperature, Jon," said Leia.

"I know, Mom," said Leia. "But can it wait until after I've had breakfast? Because I'm so hungry!"

"Of course, Jon," said Leia. "Your father and I have some rations bars and nutritive milk for each of us . You can have the chocolate ones, since I know they're your favorites."

"Thanks, Mom," said Jon. He quickly scarfed down the bar and a carton of nutritive milk. Afterwards, he and Leia returned to the hut. Once again, he removed his shirt, letting Leia change his bandages and check his temperature.

"The fever is staying away, which is really good," she said. "And your rib is on the mend." Upon hearing this, Jon reached for his holster, stood up and strapped it on.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to do that," said Jon.

"Oh, I think I can imagine," said Leia. "Just be careful, Jon. You don't need to hurt yourself again."

"Ok, Mom," said Jon. He and Leia went back outside. Han, Chewie, R2 and 3-PO were all surrounded by a group of Ewoks. Jon recognized Wicket, Chief Chripa, Logray and Teebo. The other Ewoks were new to him, but he'd eventually learn that their names were Asha, Romba and Paploo. Chief Chirpa, Teebo and Asha headed off into the forest with many more groups of Ewoks. Wicket, Romba and Paploo stayed behind to serve as the scouting party for Han, Jon, Leia, Chewie and the droids.

"Mom, Dad, before we head out, there's something I need to tell you guys," said Jon. "I was able to get back to sleep again after we talked about my dream. Then I had another dream about Crescentia Montressor. I guess you could say we patched things up. I should feel good about that, but I really just feel more confused than ever."