Chapter 13: Flying Casual

Whether he was aboard the Falcon, or a smaller ship like this shuttle, Jon had always loved traveling through Hyperspace. The stars stretched and expanded. Then the world became enveloped in a blue tunnel. To Jon, it was nothing short of magic. And he never got tired of it.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jon caught sight of Luke's right hand. The robotic one, that had gotten shot on Tattooine. A black leather glove now covered it.

"Hey, did you get Doctor Edoc to take a look at your hand, Luke?" asked Jon.

"Actually, I forgot," said Luke. "But I feel fine, Jon. And my hand works perfectly. See?" He curled his fingers.

"So, what exactly happened to your hand, Luke?" asked Han.

"Well, this one is a robotic prosthesis, and it got shot on Tattooine," Luke explained. "I lost my real right hand when I fought m-Vader on Bespin. My original lightsaber was lost there, too." Once again, Luke had nearly slipped up and revealed that he was the son of Darth Vader. Luckily, none of the others seemed to have noticed.

"Yeah, Leia told me about that," said Han. "And according to Jon, you have a new lightsaber, too, Luke. Well, what does it look like?"

"It's green," answered Luke.

"Interesting," said Han. "And Leia, I now have a question for you."

"Yes, Han?" asked Leia.

"You have plans to officially adopt Jon?" asked Han. "Because that's what he told me." That part was true enough. Han just neglected to mention that it was something he'd heard during his brief trip to the afterlife. And Jon couldn't bring himself to say anything about that.

"Well, when we thought you were...dead, Jon asked me to adopt him," said Leia. "And I said yes. It's something I'd be honored to do. But nothing's officially set in stone right now. I haven't signed any adoption forms yet. In fact, I haven't even looked at any. Because I haven't had the time."

"Well, when you get a chance, I want both you and Jon to know that you have my full and complete support," said Han.

"Thank you, Han," said Leia. "That means a lot to me, as I know it does Jon." Both Han and Jon had their backs turned to Leia. It meant that neither of them saw how she grabbed a certain finger on her left hand. And Leia, herself, wasn't sure if she had done this act consciously or unconsciously. But the moment passed quickly, and she put both her hands in her lap.

"Luke, I've been wondering," said Jon. "Everyone knows that you blew up the first Death Star."

"With a little help from me," Han interjected.

"Yeah, I know, Dad," said Jon. "So, anyway. Why didn't you wanna fly against the second one, Luke? I'm sure you could have destroyed it, too. Just curious."

"I've spent a lot of time in my X-wing lately," Luke replied. "I figured I deserved a break." R2 suddenly beeped.