Chapter 9: Complications

Jon was woken up by the feeling of someone shaking his shoulder. Then he heard a voice. It was Leia.

"Jon! Jon! Wake up!" Jon opened his eyes to find his mother looking at him. He couldn't tell for sure, but she seemed worried. He sat up, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

"What is it, Mom?" he asked sleepily.

"We need to get down to the med-center," said Leia.

"Why?" asked Jon. "It's not morning yet. Right?"

"Right," Leia agreed. "It's the middle of the night. But Doctor Edoc just commed me. And there have been some...complications...with your father." That got Leia Jon's full attention.

"Complications?" Jon repeated in confusion. "What do you mean by that? Mom, what's going on?"

"According to Doctor Edoc, your father was having a nightmare," said Leia. "He kept yelling and thrashing in his sleep."

Just like back in Jabba's dungeon, thought Jon.

"A med-droid gave him a sedative to calm him down...but he ended up having an allergic reaction, which caused him to go into shock," Leia continued "The last thing Dr. Edoc told me before I went to wake you up was that Dad had stopped breathing." Jon, himself, couldn't breathe for a moment after getting this information.

"I can tell you that Doctor Edoc and his team are working very hard to stabilize your father," said Leia. "And that's why we need to get down to down to the med-center right now."

"Mom, in case you haven't noticed, I'm still in my  pajamas," said Jon.

"Well, so am I ," Leia pointed out. That's when Jon noticed that his mother was wearing a black nightgown under her white jacket. "Just get on your jacket and your shoes, and let's go!" she snapped impatiently. Jon quickly put on his shoes and jacket. Then he followed Leia out of the Falcon. Chewie and Lando waited for them in the hangar. The man and the Wookiee looked as tired and confused as Jon was.

"Follow me," said Leia. She led her son and friends out of the hangar. They all practically sped through the cruisers corridors to the return to the med-center. Jon's heart was pounding, and he knew it wasn't just from all the running he was doing. Something had happened to his father. An allergic reaction to a sedative is what Jon had been told. But what kind of state would Han be in now? Was he dead? No. Jon couldn't let himself think like that. He pushed the thought out of his mind. They had made it to the med-center. Once again, Dr. Edoc met them. But instead of his friendly smiles from earlier, he now looked very concerned.

"What happened, exactly?" asked Jon. "Is my dad gonna be ok, Dr. Edoc?"

"Well, he's breathing again," Dr. Edoc explained. "But he's still in shock, and hasn't shown signs of regaining consciousness. That means things are still very uncertain now."

"I wanna see him," said Jon.

"Very well, then," said Dr. Edoc. He led Jon, Leia, Chewie and Lando around a corner to Han's room. Han was lying in the bed, unconscious.