Chapter 14

"You can't be." I yelled "I already have a father."

"In the V.W.S. sure, but out here I'm the real deal."

I thought back through my entire life. Everything I had ever known about my father, it was all just pretend.

"What's the V.W.S.?" I ask. I remember him saying it when I was here the first time.

"It stands for Virtual World Simulator." He says as if that was going to make it very clear to me.

"So everyone that I have ever known is a lie?" I ask, hopefully to get a more sane explanation.

"Everyone but Kira, and Chelsea. When Kira glitched she broke herself free from that world. She always knew the truth. I only just recently took Chelsea out, she's going to help me with some ... tests." He said ominously. Right before the last word he paused, as if finding a good way of putting it. I knew that he was up to no good but before I could pull myself free he sent be back into darkness.

When I finally reemerge I was back in my body, just minutes before I had gotten bit only it wasn't me. My body had a life of its own and told Kira to go first. I yelled and pleaded for her to stop but I couldn't move. I couldn't speak or warn her. And then, I watched, a prisoner in my own body, as my best friend suffered the same fate as everyone else around us. Death.

Finally whatever had come over me vanished just as fast as it appeared. I ran as fast as I could over to Kira and that thing. I used all the bundled up rage and just unleashed it on the monster who murdered my best friend. Once it was dead I sat there on the pavement and put Kira's head on my lap. I cried and cried until she stopped me.

"You need to stay alive, to keep moving. You have to save Chelsea from the real world. Your our only hope." she said slowly, gasping for breath between each word.

"Does that mean you'll be okay. Out in the real world." I ask with a slight bit of hope in my words.

"No. Once I die in here, I'm useless, he'll kill me." I hear the words she is saying, despite being slow and muffled slightly. I cry some more. Finally I hear her stop breathing and I know that it's time to leave. I have to save Chelsea. We are the only hope.