05. The Amanda Show

Start from the beginning

I shrugged. "I guess. I mean, I spent time with my brother, I found my soulmate, did face masks with Tom. Pretty good day."

"You did face masks with Tom?" I waited a moment for Mandy to realize what she said, and surely enough, a second later, she was gasping loudly. "You met your–oh my god, Vee!" I waited another moment, Mandy finally making the connection as she leaped up from her seat. "That's who Isaac is! He's your soulmate."

I let out a soft snort. "Great detective work, Mandy, you should do that full time."

"Where's the excitement, Vee?" Mandy let out an exasperated sigh.

"Used it all on Selena," I shrugged, which was true. Seeing my sister before seeing Tom was a good idea on my part, because knowing myself, I'd be left disappointed by Tom's lack of excitement. I didn't expect him to react anything like Selena did, but he was barely able to flash me a smile, and I know it wasn't because of the face mask he wore.

Despite being a successful actor, I've come to learn that Tom is a shitty liar. You'd think that being able to put on an act in front of a camera flawlessly would aid with his abilities as a liar, but he had a tell. He can't make direct eye contact. Yesterday, I couldn't see it because of how far we stood due to the shards of the mug scattered across the floor, but this morning was a different story.

"So, Regina George or Karen Smith?" I asked seriously, gaze focused on the boy making pancakes. I had insisted on Tom letting me make breakfast, considering he already unintentionally let me crash on his couch, but he claimed his pancake skills were superior to my own. I, of course, took that as a challenge, completely unaware of how quickly I'd been fooled until Tom let out a laugh at my demise. But still, I let him make the damn pancakes.

He glanced back at me for a moment, before answering confidently, "Regina."

All of five seconds passed before I let out a laugh. "That's a total lie!" Tom mockingly glared at me, before turning his attention back to the pancakes.

You know how I know it's a lie?

Tom did nothing but complain about how much of a bitch Regina was throughout the movie, meaning if it came down to it, he'd probably even choose Glenn Coco over Regina. Not only that, but he diverted his eyes right before saying Regina, an obvious indication of his discomfort when lying.

"Karen is much better, she's the funny one!" Tom defended.

I let out a scoff. "But Regina is that bitch, nobody tops that." I let out a dreamy sigh. "I aspire to be top tier like Regina."

He turned back to grin at me. "You mean you don't think you're that bitch?"

"I know you're trying to mock me, but hearing you say bitch with your accent is too funny to take you seriously."

The amusement quickly vanished from his face, and this time he was genuinely glaring at me, while I laughed. My laughter slowly faded as Tom began tending to the pancakes once more, dramatically flipping one in hopes of receiving a reaction from me- he never did.

Memories of the previous night came rushing back to me as he dramatically twirled around to face me, flicking off the stove as he did so. I felt my lips twitched into a slight smile as I remembered him doing the exact same thing during Jack and Rose's dance, what was meant to be a romantic scene being turned into a big joke as Tom dramatically reenacted it. Then I found myself frowning, remembering the way Tom immediately deflated when I received a text message from Isaac, his dancing coming to an abrupt stop, despite my pleads for him to continue.