Chapter 5 - Noticing Vincent

Start from the beginning

One person who didn't ignore my fixed glances was my dear old pal Olive. On Thursday afternoon, she confronted me as I was taking a pile of maths workbooks out of my locker.

"OK Scotty, don't think I haven't noticed." She was resting a long arm against the row of lockers next to mine and towering over me with an accusing look in her eye. "You're obsessed with Vincent Hunter aren't you?"

I nearly dropped all my books in surprise at her calling me out. "What are you talking about?" I spluttered.

Olive pointed her finger at me. "Nothing gets past me in this school Scotty Williams. Nothing! I've seen you molesting him with your eyes every time he walks past you. You're like a lovesick puppy dog with your tongue hanging out."

I somewhat resented this analogy. I mean, Vincent had peaked my curiosity for sure. But lovesick puppy dog? I was hardly in that kind of territory. I mean, yeah, he was cute... but I definitely didn't have feelings of love towards him!

"You're crazy!" I answered in defence. "I've barely even noticed him!"

"Bullshit!" Olive crowed. "You look out for him in every crowd! The other day I saw you walk the long way round to the cafeteria just so you could follow him for a few extra steps."

"I... I felt like a change of scenery," I mumbled. Had I actually done that? I couldn't remember. "And anyway, it sounds like you're the one who's stalking me here!"

"I'm just watching out for you Scotty," Olive replied in a more gentle tone. She took one of my workbooks for me and walked alongside me as I headed for class. "Just because Vincent was a little bit nice to you for like one second, does not mean that you should go and get carried away about him. The guy is a psychopath, and besides he isn't even gay so you're heading for total disaster if you start fancying him."

I seriously wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. "Olly, I love you and I love that you are worried about me, but like I already said, you're crazy! Vincent Hunter means nothing to me."

Olive tutted. "OK, so you're not going to admit it. That's fine, you don't like Vincent Hunter. I think you should keep it that way!"

"Well, I will keep it that way!" I repeated. "Because I don't like him! I don't even know the guy, he doesn't even cross my mind."

"Alexis would go mad as well if she found out," Olive added as an afterthought. "I'm sure those two are a thing and I bet she's the jealous type. You already have enough grief around here. You seriously don't need her on your case too."

"JESUS OLIVE!" I cried, making a few passing year 8 girls jump out of their skin. "I don't have a crush on Vincent, so just be quiet!"

It didn't matter how much you yelled at Olive, your words were like water sliding right off her skin.

"Yeah, I'm just saying if you did have a crush on him then that probably wouldn't be a very good idea so you should really try and find something else to focus on. I know it's difficult because we don't have many other gay students in the school, but you should be concentrating on your studies right now anyway, not your love life."

I actually wanted to scream and throw all my books on her head. Luckily for me (or rather, luckily for Olive) it was at this point that our conversation was interrupted by a call behind us.

"Hey Scolly, wait up!"

It was Mandy Peterson, one of the members of Dungeon Adventure Club. She was a few years below us and always referred to us as one entity rather than by our individual names.

"Hey Mandy!" Olive beamed, her head girl persona switching on instantly. "How are you doing?"

"I'm good thanks," Mandy replied. "I just thought I'd let you know I'll be running a bit late tonight because I got a stupid detention in P.E."

Poor Mandy was still in the year group where P.E. was mandatory. The worst ever subject for the majority of geeks and nerds like us. Particularly for Mandy who got picked on mercilessly for her looks. She was a bit of a big girl with frizzy red hair and freckles. As a result, she often "forgot" her P.E. kit and had to sit out of class. We knew this because she was always running late for our R.P.G. club due to detentions.

"Don't worry about it," Olive smiled. "We can hang on for you."

"And just think," I added, "only one more year and then you never have to do P.E. again!"

Mandy grinned from ear to ear. "Oh, what a joyous thought! Thanks Scotty, I'll see you guys later."

She skipped off down the hall, just as I reached the stairwell that lead to maths. I grabbed the rest of my books from Olive. "Right, I'll see you later then Ol."

"Yes, I'll see you in a bit. And remember..." She wiggled her blonde eyebrows with a knowing look.

I gave her a deadpan glare from halfway up the stairs. "And remember what? What the hell is that look supposed to mean?"

"It means nothing!" she exclaimed, feigning innocence. Then as she walked away she added, "Just stop fancying Vincent Hunter!"

I let out an exasperated groan that echoed all the way behind her as she strutted off.