Thirty One: Unexpected

You were walking by Kageyama's side, wiping the leftover tears from your burning red cheeks. The boy suggested walking you to the station and you accepted his proposition. He may have not looked like one, but Kageyama was a really nice person. At least towards you.

"[Name]-san", he finally spoke up, seeing that you already calmed down a little bit, "what happened?"

You gritted your teeth.

"It's a long story", you replied without turning your head towards him.

"It's something connected to Oikawa-san, isn't it?", he asked straightforwardly to which you shivered.

"Is it this obvious?", you said with a crooked smile.

"Well, something between the two of you is visibly wrong", Kageyama answered. "And when I once came to ask him about this he acted strange".

You couldn't help but look at your friend with surprised expression on your face. Not only was he extraordinarily observant but he also cared enough for you to go and ask his enemy about the situation. He didn't act like Kageyama at all.

"What did he say?", you asked warily.

Kageyama blushed recalling his own brave words.

I won't refrain myself.

"That he's not your boyfriend", he replied.

Once again, you felt your heart clench in pain. But what did you really expect him to say?

"I see. That's true", you said after a moment of silence. You couldn't hide the grief which appeared on your face. "Oikawa-san, he...", you gulped and clenched your fists. "He rejected me. And today I just happened to break in front of him", you fessed up.

Kageyama didn't seem surprised.

"I don't know what you see in him", he replied.

You looked at him. His head was turned to the side, but you could see his face. He seemed a little bit grumpy. Was it his natural expression or was he really irritated by something?

"Well", you blushed and slowly lowered your head. "There are many things-", you started, but Kageyama cut you off.

"But he's such a jerk! I bet he wouldn't even treat you seriously", he exclaimed.

You almost broke into tears once again. That's when you realised.

Oikawa has never treated you seriously.

So why did you still like him so much?

You were slowly reaching the station, when you spoke up.

"Kageyama-kun, why do you worry about me?", your voice was quiet but also curious.

The boy widened his eyes and let a light blush flow onto his cheeks.

"I know you like Oikawa-san", he said slowly. You felt a wave of heat overflowing you. "But still...", he clenched his fists. "I also like you, [Name]-san", he coughed up.