Fourteen: Runaway

Oikawa was lying on the sofa in Iwaizumi's room and bouncing the ball while his friend was doing his homework by the table, with his back turned to the chocolate haired boy. Silence was filling the room, but the pressure between these two could be felt and it was a matter of time when Iwaizumi would ask Oikawa about today's incident.

Finally, he spoke up.

"Oikawa, how did it happen that you and [Name] made this agreement?"

The chocolate haired boy jolted and the ball fell onto his face. Rubbing his nose, he replied:

"She asked me to".

"Don't play dumb. I'm asking about the conditions".

Oikawa gulped. He has never told his friend about the girls he was making out with. But the fact that Iwaizumi was sitting backwards to him gave him the courage to explain it to him.

"Volleyball is the most important to me", he said.

"I know", Iwaizumi nodded.

"Having a girlfriend would only be an obstacle in improving my skills", he continued.

"It's-", his friend wanted to cut in, but Oikawa didn't finish.

"But I still have my... needs", he covered his face with his arm, feeling a wave of embarrassment flow onto his cheeks.

Iwaizumi furrowed his eyebrows, but he didn't interrupt.

"Girls confess to me quite often, you know?", Oikawa smiled bitterly and his friend felt a sudden urge to punch him in the face. "But they do it only because of my looks. They don't know anything about me".

Iwaizumi widened his eyes, hearing a hue of sorrow in Oikawa's voice. For the first time he realised that his friend wasn't happy about having fangirls squealing over him. Was it possible that he felt lonely? Maybe he just needed someone to appreciate him for who he was?

"So I thought that maybe I would use them to satisfy myself. And at the same time I would give them some good memories after I would reject them".

"So you were kissing them?", Iwaizumi asked and the silence which followed only affirmed his suspicions. "How long has it been this way?", he inquired.

"Since the second year of high school", Oikawa replied.

Iwaizumi sighed.

"But since [Name] became our manager, something was wrong", the chocolate haired boy continued.

His friend raised an eyebrow.

"The girls that would normally satisfy me weren't enough anymore. But when I imagined kissing [Name] I felt different. I liked it. At the same time I became scared of that. Scared that I may like her. So I ran away and continued using those girls, trying to ignore this feeling of need. It worked at first, but soon I started feeling desperate. I knew that I wouldn't manage to keep it that way. And when I was at the verge of enduring it, [Name] confessed to me. I didn't realise it then but I think I was happy. But when I recalled my decision to keep to volleyball, I automatically rejected her. The next day some girl confessed to me, and, trying to convince myself that everything was as always, I kissed her. And [Name] saw us. I thought that she wouldn't talk to me for the rest of my life and I wouldn't really bear her a grudge about it, but instead she came to me and made a proposition about this agreement".

"And you agreed", Iwaizumi summed up.

"No, I didn't want to agree at first, but she insisted. And I just couldn't resist", Oikawa answered.

"Oikawa, have you ever been in love?", his friend asked all of a sudden.

The boy shivered and a big wave of heat flew onto his face.

"I-I don't know", he mumbled under his breath.

"Then what do you feel about [Name]?"

"I don't know!", he whined and turned on his side with a pout, feeling his heart beating like mad.

"I think you're in-", Iwaizumi started but was cut off by his friend.

"No! I can't! Volleyball is more important! Love won't help me with improving!", Oikawa grizzled.

"But you can't continue this forever!", Iwaizumi retracted, irritated.

"I will handle it somehow!", the boy didn't listen.

"And what about [Name]?"

"She can break the agreement whenever she wants to, so she won't be hurt".

"You know, I don't think that she will break the agreement even if she was hurt. In fact, I think that she is already hurt. Probably since you rejected her. Right now she thinks it's the best she could do, because she probably is also enjoying it since she likes you and it keeps you from other girls, but sooner or later she will realise that you're not willing to requit her feelings and she will give up on you".

Oikawa stiffened for a while, overwhelmed by the vision of [Name] leaving him, but he quickly regained his composure.

"So I will use her until then", he said.