Fifteen: Inattention

You stepped into the gymnasium, freshly changed into your sports uniform. It was still early in the morning, but you couldn't sleep anyway, so you decided to come to school earlier. For the whole night, you were thinking about how would your friendship with Iwaizumi change from now on. Of course you didn't want to change anything, but you weren't sure how would your friend react to the fact that you and his best friend had this kind of agreement.

You sighed and walked up to the bench. You placed there your bag together with your notebook and pen. Good thing you had keys to the changing room and to the gymansium, so you didn't have to wait outside. It was rather cold today. You shivered. No matter what would happen, you knew you wouldn't resign from the agreement. Did Oikawa think the same?

You lumbered into the corner of the hall and sat under the wall. You still had some time before the morning practice would start.

Slowly, your eyes started closing.

Oikawa skipped lightly towards the gymnasium. He woke up a little bit earlier than normally. For some reason, he felt somewhat restless to see you after his yesterday's conversation with Iwaizumi. As he opened the hall's door, he immediately spotted your bag lying on a bench next to your other belongings.

He was quite sure that he was the first person to come, so it surprised him. He looked around the gymnasium, and soon he saw your fragile figure sitting under the wall, with your head tilted to the side and your eyes closed. The boy giggled to himself as he realised that you were sleeping.

He quietly walked up to you and squatted in front of you. He opened his mouth, ready to wake you up, but he stopped midway.

Your peacefully sleeping face, the light blush on your cheeks, and your long eyelashes - they were super cute. Oikawa smiled to himself. Some warm wave spread through his body, leaving its mark on his cheeks. His heart clenched in some strange feeling of excitement. What was it? A turn on? He didn't know.

His hand moved on its own and cupped your cheek. Slowly, as if he was led by some outer force, he started closing up to your face. Centimetres were separating your lips, when you woke up.

Oikawa quickly moved back, surprised. You were staring at each other with widely opened eyes, both of you blushing madly.

"O-Oikawa-san? What were you doing?", you mumbled under your breath.

Oikawa gulped. It wouldn't be strange if he just said that he wanted to kiss you. But he wasn't sure about it himself. His body just moved on its own.

Yes, this was meant to be something different than one of your usual kisses.

"You...", Oikawa started nervously. "You were drooling", he said.

You yelped, embarrassed, and quickly covered your mouth.

"But w-why were you so close?", you asked after a while, looking at Oikawa inquiringly.

The boy turned his face to the side so that you wouldn't see his growing blush.

"It's-", he wanted to reply, but a loud voice cut him off.

"Oh, Oikawa and [Name] are already here!", Hanamaki exclaimed to the boy who was standing behind him.

You both turned towards the door to see Iwaizumi standing in them.

You whined, afraid of your encounter with your friend. Yesterday you could just escape, but today there was no way you could avoid him. And you knew you would have to talk to him sooner or later.

You stood up with Oikawa's help, and you walked up to the bench where you bag was standing. You opened your notebook and hid your blushing face from Iwaizumi.

"[Name]", you soon heard over your head.

You jolted and looked up to see Iwaizumi's confused face.

"Yes?", you replied.

"You like him this much?", the boy asked.

Suddenly, you felt on the verge of crying.

You nodded and lowered your head, trying to keep your composure.

"But this way you'll end up even more hurt", Iwaizumi sat beside you.

"I know", you answered after a while, when you were sure that your voice wouldn't break. "But knowing that other girls are so close to him... I can't stand it. And it's not like he does something I'm against", you said with an awry smile.

"Yeah, I realised it", your friend replied.

"Are you going to end our friendship?", you asked.

"Why would I?", Iwaizumi was surprised. "Well, I mean, I think that what you're doing isn't a good idea, but it doesn't mean I don't want to be friends with you anymore. Same goes to Shittykawa. Even though he's the biggest idiot here", he assured you.

You looked at Iwaizumi with relief.

"I'm so happy to hear it", you said and a light smile appeared on your face.

Suddenly, you heard something buzzing inside your bag. You quickly grabbed your phone to see some message displaying on the screen. You raised your eyebrow, surprised.

Kageyama-kun?