Chapter XXVIII - Forever Yours

"Jill, on the day I met you, I made a promise. I made a promise that I would never leave you alone. I don't know what you did to change a selfish, bratty Eustace that day, but that was the first promise I ever made to you. And somehow I knew that that promise would not be the last one I made to you. Since then, you have changed me for the better. You have put up with my hardships and my whining, you have shown me what it is to be a compassionate human being, to have passions not only for occupations or hobbies but to have a passion for people, for loving your fellow Narnian brothers and sisters. So here, today, I chose to make another promise to you.

"I promise to love you unconditionally, with all that I am and all that I can give. I promise to be there in the moments of joy, in the moments of sorrow. I promise to be there when you are healthy, and when you are sick, when you are laughing and when you cry. I promise to be my best self so that you can spread your wings even further. I promise to support you in every possible way, emotionally, financially and in any way I couldn't think of when writing this speech.

"My final promise to you is the one I made secretly that day at Experiment House - I will never leave you alone. I love you, Jill," Eustace wiped a tear away from his eyes as he read his vows to Jill. His vows had been more sappy than the ones Caspian and Susan had decided to exchange, versions of the traditional English marriage vows. He only hoped that Jill's vows were just as emotional.

She smiled at him as she began. "Eustace, when I first encountered you at Experiment House, I though you were an odd boy. You were obsessed with hygiene and bugs, and reading old newspapers. But there was one thing that changed everything, that stopped me from walking away from our friendship. You were kind. Ever since then you have grown tremendously, but that value remains at the core of you. It was that value that caused me to make a promise of my own. I made this promise on a day that I knew hadn't been the best for you. It was a rainy, miserable day and your mood matched the weather. Yet, when you saw a baby bird lying on the ground in the garden, you nursed it back to health. It was then and there that I promised that I would love you for the rest of my life. I make this promise again today to you.

I promise to love you for the rest of my life, through anything and everything that happens to us. I promise to always be there, to love and support you as you chase your dreams. I promise to care, to learn, to love, and to not outdo you in speeches and vows," Jill laughed. "I promise to never let you go. I love you too, Eustace."

Aslan smiled at the couple. Caspian and Susan had already exchanged their rings after their separate vows, and stood to the side as they witnessed Eustace and Jill exchanging theirs. Aslan's voice boomed over the crowd "I now pronounce you both husband and wife. You may kiss the bride!" Applause resounded through the great room as both Caspian and Eustace dipped and kissed their new wives. "May your lives be fruitful together. Go in peace."

The bridal party danced back down the aisle to a lively Narnian flute tune reminiscent of Irish folk music. The smiles seemed to be contagious.

The guests followed the bridal party onto the lawn, where numerous picnic baskets had been set out earlier that morning. A wide range of food had been prepared to a high standard, ready for a casual picnic reception. It's absolutely perfect, Susan thought with a sigh.

Jill had come up with the idea when brainstorming ideas for receptions. The wedding reception had been a major dilemma, as most of the planning would be focused on the dinner that was included. The reception would be expensive and difficult to arrange. Jill had suggested something simpler, and there it was - the idea of a picnic reception.

At least everyone's enjoying themselves, Jill thought. This really did turn out much better than I expected. The ceremony and reception had gone well for something that was planned in two weeks. The lawn was full of laughter and food, just the way she liked it.

Harriet and Edmund had started yet another water fight on the far side of the lawn, now joined by some of the younger children as they ran around the lawn wildly. Thank goodness they changed out of their formal clothes before, Susan thought with relief. What is it with them and water fights anyway?

The light started to fade from the sky as a dance floor was constructed for the couples' first dances. The couples would start in separate corners to each other, and then glide into the centre, before being joined by the rest of the wedding party and guests.

The music started off slower as the couples danced slowly in their separate corners. Then, the music started to pick up as they met each other in the middle. Soon all of the guests danced around them in circles, swirling opposite ways to the music.

Susan smiled at Caspian as he danced with her, the Telmarine prince making pretences of watching his feet. Today had been truly wonderful, although a younger Susan would have thought that she had dreamt it. I hope I never wake up from this, Susan thought.

Caspian looked at Susan as his heart overflowed with joy. He had left Lilliandil behind once and for all. For once in his life, he could truly enjoy himself.

Eustace gazed at Jill as she danced, laughing in the moonlight. Eustace Scrubb and Jill Pole married. Who would've thought! he reflected. Wait, she's Jill Scrubb now, he reminded himself. She's my wife! His grin was as wide as the Great Hall.

Jill looked at Eustace as she smiled. Today had been perfect. She couldn't wait to experience the world as Mrs Scrubb. Bring it on.