Chapter XXIV - The Last of the Nightmares

The battle had been raging for hours. Daylight waned as lives were lost and stampedes of soldiers paced the battered ground. We need to finish this before the light fades, Caspian realised with a sigh. Aslan, grant us strength to fight for justice, he prayed. Protect us as we fight for your cause. With newfound courage, Caspian pushed back another five enemy soldiers.

Edmund had been watching the action on the battlefield with wishes for victory. He sent his prayers as he bandaged wounds, rejoicing with those who had defeated enemies. Two down, two to go, he thought. He had witnessed the death of Miraz and heard of the death of the Lady of the Green Kirtle, but knew that Jadis and Tash were still fighting somewhere on the battlefield. His mind was swimming with strategies and tactics as he watched the battle, his hands caring for the wounded but his heart with his siblings, friends and countrymen as they fought the enemy. His hands were itching to unsheathe his sword and charge onto the battlefield.

In the meantime, Lucy fought a ghoul. Her opponent ducked and darted around her as she made short, pointed jabs at the creature with the thin dagger she had come to know as her good luck charm. Finally, the weapon made its mark as the ghoul fell to the ground, vanishing into dust. Lucy felt a deep sense of satisfaction. She was no longer the little girl afraid to fight, now a woman of True Narnia.

The light was dimming as the enemy's numbers diminished. "We're winning!" Peter cried out. "Keep moving!" The soldiers started to grow faint, despite Peter's encouragement. The day had been long and the warriors of Aslan's Country were becoming less and less skilled in the midst of their fatigue.

A dark cloud dimmed the sky as thunder rumbled. The air smelt like burning ash as the grass began to shrivel below the feet of the Narnians. A terrible voice rumbled from the clouds: "I am Tash. Fear me!"

Gasps rung out from below as the Narnians began to lose their strength. Soldiers began to curl up below the rocks as the clouds continued to darken the sky. Peter took a deep breath.

"We pray to Aslan, maker of the skies and ruler of everything the light touches,

Healer to the blind and the sick, friend to the outcast,

Just and loving king, bringer of justice and peace.

We ask that you protect your people and your land, your promised new city from all harm,

Grant us hands as victorious as the morning sun,

Swords as sharp as the tongues of the wicked,

Power from Him who is stronger than any evil and any impostor!"

Instantly, the sky cleared of all clouds and was filled instead with a booming voice.

"I am Aslan, God Almighty,

The beginning and the end,

The lover of all humankind,

The friend to the weak, healer of the broken.

I have answered your call, I have not left you in suffering.

I will give you deliverance from the evil that constricts your land, that you may live in accordance with my commands.

The sky took a breath.

I now address the demon Tash, the corrupter of souls and root of evil.

Leave my people, and never return, for you have no power over them.

These people I hold in my hand, a place too lofty for you to reach."

The ground began to shake as roots rose up from the ground, seizing the enemy army and pulling them into the earth. Tash began to tremble as a large stone rose up from the earth, crushing his wispy form, leaving only dust.

A roar sounded over the plains, a roar which the Narnians felt deep in their bones. The voice returned, kinder than before. "I have one last challenge for you. I tell you, complete this task and have peace."

The battlefield was empty, except for a single figure dressed in white. Her wand twirled in her fingers as a sinister smile crossed her face. "Your 'god' cannot touch me. His power cannot defeat my divine nature. It is clear that I should be ruler. Don't you all agree?"

The White Witch stalked towards Edmund, who had exited the medical tent to witness Aslan's splendour. "I'm sure Eddie agrees," she said slowly. "After all, it was he who betrayed you in the first place." Edmund shrunk down to a smaller size. His betrayal had always been his Achilles heel.

Aslan's voice echoed in Edmund's head. "You are loved, dear son. You are forgiven."

Edmund unsheathed his sword slowly, staring the witch in the face for the final time. "I am not on your side," he said confidently. "I will never be on your side as long as I live!" And with that, Edmund plunged his sword deep into the Jadis' heart.

The witch's eyes widened as icicles began to form across her chest where Edmund's blade had struck. The ice covered her body until she was completely frozen on the ground, where the ice began to transform into stone. Her mouth was stuck open in disbelief as she turned into a statue, cold as her heart had always been. Aslan's voice roared out triumphantly: "Feel the eternal winter you have caused!"

The White Witch shattered into tiny pieces. They floated into the sky like ash, filling the air with the joy of victory. A cheer sounded from the True Narnians, so loud that it filled the space as fully as their laughter. "All praise be to Aslan! All praise be to Aslan! All praise be to Aslan!" the cheer rung out until the sky was painted with a gorgeous sunset that turned into the brightest stars any Narnian had ever seen.

"I think a celebration is in order!" Edmund suggested, holding Harriet close. He led the charge to the castle with a grin splitting his face. The Narnians followed behind, weapons disposed of and laughter abounding. Victory was theirs.