Chapter XVI - The Love That Remains

The dappled shade flitted across Eustace and Jill's smiling faces as they munched on some of True Narnia's sweetest strawberries. "I am sure glad fruit isn't season-depndent in Aslan's Country," said Jill. "I always missed strawberries in winter when I lived back in England." Eustace nodded in agreement as he bit into yet another strawberry. The juice trickled down his chin as he looked around at the small forest clearing they sat in. Jill laughed at his messy state, handing him a napkin from the picnic basket.

"I do miss England sometimes," Eustace admitted. "The weather here is almost constantly sunny. I miss a little bit of cloudiness every now and then. And, I miss English tea. Narnia has its joys, but it's just unfortunate that they can't make a good cuppa."

Jill laughed. "I can't say I agree with you about the weather. I always hated rainy days. But I do agree with you on the subject of tea. I'm rather fond of some of the traditional herbal teas around here, but sometimes I just want a good, strong cup of Earl Grey."

"Well, I have a bit of a surprise for you. I did come across a bit of a rare item when I was on the hunt for a decent jar of jam," Eustace explained. A small container of teabags was produced from a cleverly hidden spot in the picnic basket much to Jill's delight. "They're Earl Grey. I remembered that blend was always your favourite when we were in school together," Eustace reminisced.

"My favourite by far! Thank you Eustace," Jill enveloped Eustace in yet another hug. Eustace smiled as he picked up the accompanying thermos and sugar from the basket.

"Piping hot and strong enough to bend a teaspoon with no milk and two sugars, right Jill? I think I still remember it from our time at Experiment House," Eustace asked.

"Yes. You're white with a sugar?" Jill replied. Eustace nodded and they began to make the tea, working in a comfortable silence. The birds chartered in the trees. All was right with the world.

--------

Caspian sat meditating on the events of the morning with a sour look on his face. His uncle had never appeared trustworthy, but finding out that Miraz had practised darker magic than what Caspian had suspected put him into a deep funk. Still, there was something else lingering in the past that seemed to tickle the edges of Caspian's consciousness. Determined to know what the elusive event was, the young king checked the calendar in his chambers. His heart sunk as he stared at the day's date.

He still remembered it as if it were yesterday, although today marked the fact that the event had happened years in the past. Caspian closed his eyes to drink in the memory.

She had looked so beautiful in a white dress, her golden hair shining even in the pale winter sun. The lawn of Cair Paravel had been decorated with a large variety of winter flowers, a white arbour created specifically for the day. Caspian could still remember the feeling of the expensive robes against his skin, how his heart beat faster when he saw Lilliandil, the smile she wore as she walked down the aisle.

How the crowds had cheered for their newest king and his bride! He could still smell the pine needles of the forest he had walked through with his new wife straight after the ceremony, could still taste the oldest spiced wine reserved specifically for the wedding feast. The dancing still swirled in his mind, the jewel colours of his wife's eyes, the unfamiliar feel of his wedding band on his ring finger. Caspian traced the line where his wedding band sat, tears falling onto his lap.

The image of Susan flashed into his mind at once, her dancing eyes filling his thoughts. The way she smiled, her ferocious archery skills, the way she protected her siblings with her life, enchanted him. He started to smile through the tears at her undying spirit and her strange passion for lipstick. And her passion for him. How she always laughed at his terrible jokes, gave him the best of her famous scones and woke up early specifically for archery practice with him. Caspian shook his head. It was all too confusing. Where was the love inside of him? And who was it for?

He barely heard the sound of paws padding across the room in his distress. Aslan spoke quietly, almost as if he was speaking to Caspian's very soul. "We can love more than one person in a lifetime, dear one. Perhaps it's time to walk the road ahead of you, instead of looking at the crossroads you have left behind."

Caspian stood up. "I need to talk to Susan. She deserves to know the truth. And the whole truth as well."

Aslan's face spread into a lion's grin as Caspian dashed out of the room.

--------

Eustace and Jill stared up at the leafy canopy of the forest, having eaten their fill of borrowed Narnian food. The sky was darkening as the shadows grew longer, but the position was all too comfortable to leave behind prematurely. Jill traced the edges of the trees with an extended finger, squinting in concentration. Finally, Eustace took a deep breath and summoned his courage.

"Jill, I've known you for a very long time now, and I have something to confess."

"Go on," Jill replied curiously.

"I have been... rather smitten with you for quite some time Jill, and I have a suspicion you might feel similar feelings. I was wondering if we could maybe... be something more?" Eustace said nervously. It had sounded more like an anxious schoolboy's plea than an admirable declaration of love, but it might be enough...

"It's about time!" Jill blurted out. "I was afraid I was going to have to tell you myself and be wildly nontraditional!"

The leaves closed in on the new lovers with a gentle breeze as Eustace kissed Jill for the first time. The sweetest part of True Narnia wasn't the strawberries or the warm days - it was Jill.

[Author's Note]

Hello Readers!

I realise that it has been a ridiculously long period of time since I last posted. Year eleven was so much more stressful than I thought it would be, and I'm now super involved with heaps of stuff at school, hence the lack of updates. Good news though, I'm going to try and upload every Sunday afternoon, so I remember to do it. Keep your eye out for that!

Thanks for your constant support. xo

Sincerely,

The Author