Chapter 10 Beam

"Let's stop here for a bit," I said. "We can all use some rest."

I could feel that everyone was getting tired, Phana and Ming from their wounds and Beam from carrying the baby. I seemed to be in the best shape, so I kept running in circles around the four of them, securing the premises as we traveled back to Pulau Singa Besar. Not that I thought we were in danger, but four men covered in dry blood and dirt and carrying a baby were a pretty suspicious sight if any human spotted us. It was safer to stay away from major roads and keep an eye out. As soon as we reached Pulau Mutiara, we were going to wash up in the woods and rent another truck to reach the seashore faster. Everything came so easy now that we were back together and I kept stealing glances at Beam and little Wayo in his hands. He was one resilient baby. I doubted he'd ever remember what he'd been through already at his tender age, but from now on I vowed to give him the safest, happiest childhood he could possibly have.

"But isn't this...?" Beam said, his voice trailing off. "I don't think I can go back there, Forth."

"We're not," I said.

We were just entering the woods where our little home used to be, but now lay in ruins. It would be too much for both of us to look at it. I was determined to

leave the past behind and keep Beam from seeing what had happened to the shed. The only thing I wanted us to keep were all the memories.

"We'll just stop by the creek, get some water and wash up a bit. Wayo might need changing too."

"He does," he said, wrinkling his nose comically. "Alright, a rest stop doesn't sound like such a bad idea."

We reached the creek with its murmuring waters falling off little cascades, the rocks on its banks covered in thick green moss and fall leaves that made for the perfect cushions to sit on.

"While you guys change him," Phana said. "I think I might scout the woods for something to eat. I swear I'm going to collapse any minute if I don't eat something."

Ming regarded Beam, who was deftly unwrapping Wayo's bottom and preparing to wash him in the stream, and then looked at Phana who was quickly disappearing among the trees.

"Wait!" he called after him. "No poopy bottoms for me, please. I'm coming with you."

I chuckled. Ming couldn't get out of there fast enough. I wondered what he'd do when the time came for him to have his own child. He'd probably be one of those dads who never helped with feedings and changing. I, on the other hand, didn't mind these rituals one bit. Nothing about my baby could ever put me off. I went to see how Beam was doing with Wayo.

"Is everything under control here? You need some help?" I asked casually.

"No, I'm almost done," he said. "It's so funny, Forth. When he wasn't with us, I think I could have given everything I ever owned just for the chance to change him one more time. Now I can't believe there was ever a time I thought it would gross me out."

"You thought that? I didn't know..."

"Well, not with him exactly, but when I worked in the day care, I used to always find excuses to get away with never doing it."

I laughed, imagining him, confused and inexperienced, with dozens of screaming babies on his hands. Now he was such a natural, my heart filled with love when I looked at how well he handled the baby's every need.

"Alright then," I said in a bit, when I finally snapped out of staring at them with an idiotic grin plastered over my face, "I'm going to go find something to fill with water, if you'll be okay here on your own."