ROGUE CURRENTS

***

       Unfortunately, there was never a dull moment in Beacon Hills and therefore never enough time to rest. That was more than evident over the last few days with their current situation of raging sacrifices. 

        Healers were apparently the next target between the on-call doctor at the hospital going missing during a major pile up, the ER attendant found dead after never showing up, and finally Deaton's disappearance after a pleading phone call to Scott. 

        Not to mention the 'Danny throwing up mistletoe' and 'does the Sheriff need to know the truth' dilemmas on top of everything else. In short, it was safe to say that everyone had their hands full.

       "Did you seriously bring a Ouija board?" Jake asked with raised eyebrows as he watched Stiles set the box down on the lab table in front of Lydia. 

       He was leaning against the side of the table perpendicular to his best friend, Lydia directly across from him and Cora to her right and furthest away from Stiles so she'd be less inclined to hit him. There was certainly no doubting that she was Derek's sister.

       "Yeah, I did. You know why? Because it's also called a spirit board and it's worth a shot," Stiles defended, immediately unpacking the item and setting it up in front of the strawberry blonde. 

       He glanced at Jake as he did so but it wasn't a conscious motion, certainly not thinking about the other day with all the stress they were currently under in trying to find Deaton before it was too late. That didn't mean he hadn't been thinking about it non-stop before that, though.

       "So do we all do this?" Cora asked, giving the board a judgmental look. There was obviously no way around it so she decided to humor it if it meant getting answers, putting her fingers on the planchette and waiting for something to happen. She glanced at Lydia but the girl was clearly just as clueless as the rest, earning an eye-roll from her.

       "Oh, I thought we were asking the spirits," Lydia piped up when she noticed everyone staring at her, realizing they wanted her to do something. Contrary to what Cora might have expected, Lydia did not go around making friends with spirits. She had enough demons already without that.

       "Alright, clearly this isn't working. Try the keys," Jake sighed, pulling his hands back and straightening now that they were sure the method was a bust. He gestured for Stiles to hand them over, crossing his arms as he waited. 

        He exchanged a look with the other two as they all watched Lydia intensely, trying to see if she had any reactions apart from the initial chill. Unfortunately, it only took a few seconds to realize that they were once again going absolutely nowhere with psychometry.

       Mere inches away, Stiles was beginning to lose his patience. "Oh, for the love of god," he groaned, leaning his hands on the edge of the table to watch only to drop his head with a sigh not even a minute later after the attempts were futile. 

       "Alright, last resort time," he straightened, taking the keys back and holding out a pencil instead.

       Jake gave Stiles a look of sympathy because while he was trying his best, that didn't change how much Lydia could find out— which was not much at all considering she drew a tree in lieu of any kind of response. 

        Jake pulled out his phone to update Scott, distracted when he distortedly saw clawed hands instead of his own. He blinked again and they were back to normal, turning one hand over to make sure of it. 

       "I'm gonna call Scott," he announced a bit unsurely, stepping out into the hall while the others were busy bickering.

       Once he was there he opened up his contacts and hovered over Scott's name but before he could click it, his vision blurred and Derek's contact seemed to multiply and extend itself across his screen since it was right under it.