(6) Six Weeks Since We Met

Chapter Six... Six Weeks Since We Met

It had been six short weeks since I had met Jospeh Camden on that fateful windy day. My crimson scarf was hanging around my neck again today as the icy snow bit at my face. I walked to school today, since Joseph had exams. His school year was nearly over, and I knew that soon enough I would have to ask him a question that was eating at my insides... "So where do you go next year? And how do I stay a part of your life if you move away?"

As I left footprints in the snow, I remembered back to when we lived in Australia, and my bare feet would leave deep prints in the wet sand at the water's edge.

The only beach I knew of around here was at least two hours away, and it was far too cold to even consider a visit rugged up in my winter warm clothing. I sighed. I loved Joseph, and I loved Seattle... but I missed Australia.

I finally reached the school. My feet were getting wet from some melting snow. Eww.

I dawdled into the massive school building. I was late... really late. Class had already begun. It had been the first time I'd been late to school since being back in the US, so I did what I usually do when I'm late. I skipped the first class. I was pretty sure that missing one class of Health wouldn't hurt me...

I sat out in the schoolyard. It was bitter cold, but it was better than hiding out in the library like some book worm freak. I was getting lonely, until some of the cheerleaders came and sat with me. The senior ones were clearly awaiting the start of their end-of-year exams...

Kasi and Sienna were also skipping their first class. I smiled as they approached me.

"Emmy!" Kasi squealed, running up to hug me. She had become my best friend since I'd been here. 

"Hey, Em," Sienna smiled, looking a little distraught. 

"Hey, Kas," I hugged her tightly back. "S, is everything alright?" 

"My parents had a huge fight this morning," Sienna sobbed. "I think they might split. I don't wanna be one of those girls whose parents get divorced." 

"My parents are getting divorced, too," I said encouragingly. "I know. It isn't easy. But my dad cheated... And mom... mom had her own problems." 

Sienna chuckled through her tears. 

"Yeah, but you have Joey to help get you through that, too," she reminded me. "I don't have anyone..." 

"You have us," I smiled. Kasi hugged her from behind. 

"I told you, S, didn't I?" Kasi grinned.  

We all laughed. Sienna hugged me, and we formed a little group hug. The senior cheerleaders came over then. 

"Nadia, Lucy, Rhiannon... Jaela," Sienna greeted them all individually. 

Lucy smiled, speaking first. 

"Hey, Sienna," she said, frowning a little. "Er... we can't make it to practice this afternoon." 

"What? Why?" Sienna moaned. 

"Rhi and Jae have an exam," she continued. "Nadia's got a dentist appointment, and I have to go see my father, who lives three hours away." 

"Sorry, S," Rhiannon apologised, giving a weak smile. 

"Sure," Sienna said carelessly. "Fine. We will just practice without you all." 

"Er, I have to babysit," Kasi reminded her. "Remember?" 

"Oh, shit!" Sienna cursed. "Oh! Umm... make it tomorrow afternoon. If you can't come, let me know, okay?" 

"I have a date with Joseph," I said softly.