(3) School? Yuck.

Chapter Three... School? Yuck.

I awoke the following morning to something tapping my leg; It could only be Kayden. I sat up to see my little brother looking quite sad standing at the end of the bed. Great... mom had probably spent the whole night out, and dad was due to start work today. I was supposed to start school today, and I was absolutely dreading it. However, I would get to see Joseph. I would have to wear my favourite crimson scarf again; it was my lucky scarf now.

"Kay? What are you doing?" I groaned tiredly.

"Momma's not home yet," Kayden said quite fluently for a two year old. He was intelligent, given who his parents were.

"Where's dad?" I asked.

"Dadda gone bye bye," Kayden said sadly. I climbed out of bed and picked him up. I cuddled him up to me.

"I love you, monkey moo," I crooned. He kissed my cheek.

"I'm hungry," Kayden replied. I chuckled, then carried him downstairs for some breakfast.

I fixed Kayden some toast. His favourite. I noticed that my father had hidden any evidence of an affair, and it was infuriating me. I looked at the clock; it was almost eight. Mom would have to get home soon, as I had to go to school.

Not that I would have cared, but I wanted to see my new friend. And that would make school more worthwhile, for sure. I sat down with a bowl of cereal. I wasn't even hungry, but I couldn't leave Kayden alone in the kitchen. I waited until he finished his toast, then headed upstairs with him. I sat him in his bedroom playpen so that I could take a shower. Tears welled in my eyes as I heard him crying...

I got dressed for school and grabbed my phone. There was a new message, from Joseph. It read...

"Hiya Emily. Need a ride 2 skool? Bin thinkin of u all night. msg me ur address n ill pick u up"

I smiled as I sent back...

"Hey Joey. Wld love a ride. 2232 East Marina Drive. Can't miss it... big tree out the front. C u soon :)"

I went to see Kayden in his room. Mom still wasn't home, so I bathed him. He was playing in the bubbles when I heard a knock at the door. I looked outside to see a red Sedan sitting in our driveway. I ran downstairs to see if it was Joseph; he was standing at the door, wearing a red scarf. I chuckled, and he came inside. I heard someone in the kitchen, and turned to see my mother walking into the room.

"Oh, mom, you're home," I said, startled.

"Emily, where's Kayden?" she asked, not acknowledging that Joseph was there.

"Oh, crap!" I shouted, running upstairs.

I'd left my baby brother in the bathtub. I could hear mom behind me, sounding a little panicked. I feared the worst as I opened the bathroom door... Kayden sat in the bathtub, humming happily to himself as he sailed a plastic boat through the deminishing bubbles. I smiled, but mom rushed in to him and picked him up. She wrapped him in a towel and hugged him tightly.

"Emily, what the hell were you thinking?!" she screamed, loud enough that I'm sure the whole neighbourhood could hear. "He could've drowned! You shouldn't have left him alone!" I felt guilty but I had to give my opinion.

"If you didn't leave him with me all the time, or didn't stay out the whole night, you wouldn't have to worry about it, would you?! I snapped, angrily fighting the urge to throw a punch. "I'm gonna be late," I added, leaving abruptly.