Chapter 32: The First Engagement

Começar do início

Finno frowned. "Curvo is with him, then?"

But Káno merely laughed before taking a drink. As he put the glass down he shook his head. "Come now. Surely you know that even Curvo is not welcome in our father's private forge."

Finno shrugged with a tiny smile as he poured himself some wine when Nelyo passed him a glass. Eve shook her head when Nelyo offered her one as well.

"When are Elenwë and Turvo going to exchange the rings, Finno?" Nelyo asked a moment later.

Finno rolled his eyes. "You aren't supposed to say anything."

But Nerdanel chuckled. "We do not take offense at the lack of invitation, Findekáno."

"I managed to convince my father to allow Nelyo and Káno invitations, actually," Finno replied somewhat awkwardly. "It took much, but they will be allowed if they desire."

"When is it, then?" Nelyo asked again.

Finno nodded. "In a week."

Nelyo paused. "I think I am busy. Too bad."

Eve gasped and smacked his arm. "You have to go!"

The other redhead snickered. But he nodded. "That was in jest. Of course I will go. I like Elenwë."

Finno smirked and sipped his wine. "And you crafted the ring for Turvo."

Nerdanel gasped and looked at her eldest son proudly. She grabbed his arm and hugged him. "I had no idea! How kind of you!"

Nelyo shrugged his mother away. "Finno begged me."

The elf in question scoffed and shook his head. "Lies."

Telvo and Pityo finally tired out, and Nerdanel stood to herd them indoors. She turned to her sons, nephew, and Eve. But Eve suddenly gasped stood up. "Nerdanel, I had hoped to show Finno a painting I did. Is there time?"

The woman nodded. "Of course."

Káno and Nelyo seemed slightly put out that she hadn't offered to show them the painting. But Finno merely winked at them and followed Eve behind Nerdanel. When they went indoors, Eve showed Finno to her bedroom and insisted he stand outside the door while she made sure the room was clean.

"I do not care," he laughed from outside the room.

Her voice came through muffled. "Well I do!"

Finally Eve opened the door and Finno went inside to join her. A large canvas, four feet across and two feet tall, sat upon a tall easel in the corner of the room. With the window and a dozen candles providing light, he gasped at the painting. Finno moved forward and looked more closely at it.

The painting depicted Alqualondë looking out from the palace balcony at night. The paint that Eve had used for the pearl domes reflected light just like the real things, and the waves at the beach seemed realistic and yet... somehow not. It was like Eve had been painting the light itself as opposed to the shapes.

"Do you like it?" she asked hesitantly.

He moved closer to it again, and thus closer to her, for she stood to the right of the painting as he looked at it. Finno stood but a foot from it now, and made no answer. But as Eve began to sputter explanations for fear that he disliked it, he shook his head and turned to her.

"It is magnificent," he assured her immediately. "I have never seen its like, for it is so different from the prevailing styles of our people."

Eve grinned and went to stand beside him. He turned to her and again they locked eyes, and again Eve at least could not look away, and Finno certainly didn't want to. Finally he spoke quietly.