Hard Magic: Ch 1

Pros and Cons

            So here is a good question to start with. Why should I consider creating a Hard Magic System? Is it worth the time and investment? Short answer, yes. Let's look at why and some of the 'negative' and "positive" perks of such a system.

            To start, the biggest advantage you can get out of this is depth, structure, and stability. Remember in the Soft Magic System chapter we talked about how we could get away with not explaining the magic but, in some cases, this could confuse a reader? This prevents that from happening.

            Soft magic is mysterious, spontaneous and often confusing. A hard magic system is clearly defined and predictable. Your reader won't be wondering how or why a character can use a power or ability, but wonder instead if that power or ability can solve the problem at hand.

            Second, it gives you a solid skeleton to determine the abilities available to a character. You won't have to think up random spells or hexes. Instead, you will have a clear set of restrictions, determined costs, and outcomes to base the magic around.

            Finally, my personal favorite, we get to see our mage's progress or character arc. We don't just see the character's personal evolution, we get to watch their magic develop as well. Perhaps at the beginning of your book they were a novice wanting to be pyromancer and by the end they're the best in all the land.

            While all that might sound good, there are still downsides. What could be considered a negative trait to all this? Well, restrictions would be the biggest one. With a Soft Magic System, we could get away with dropping random spells from across any archetype. You can't do this with a hard magic system. No matter the circumstances you, and your characters must follow the rules. While this is a huge improvement to storytelling, it could also confine some writers to a point where they do not feel as creatively free as they like.

            My only counter to that is that you can do a lot with even simple spells. Like using a levitation spell to turn otherwise harmless objects into life-threatening tools of destruction. Ron Weasley did defeat a fully grown mountain troll, after all. It's almost stupidly fun what you can do with simple spell work. Anyway, back on topic.

            Second would be the workload. I recommend getting familiar with the inner workings of different magic systems. Which means a lot of reading and research so only do what your brain can handle. I can respect that most won't want to deal with all that. If you're not willing to put in the effort for this, then it would probably be better for you to go back to the Soft Magic System.

            The last of the big three negative demoralizer is attention to detail. You might think this one is a bit funny but I am not lying when I tell you that detail can make or break a Hard Magic System. Every little detail you add to expand your work must be taken into consideration as you continue to develop. Not only in the outline, but in any novel containing it.

            More often than not, I have seen writers use magic like it's a toy. They abuse it. Don't misunderstand, characters can abuse magic, just not you. When a writer is the one abusing magic it can destroy a story. Don't forget the rules you created, they are there for a reason. I mean, would you really read a novel where Bob solves all his problems just by snapping his fingers? The details matter.

            If you're convinced you can get through all this without losing your mind make sure you keep track of your work. You may maintain an even head through the crafting stages but if all your hard work disappears overnight because you didn't save. Well... I can't imagine you'd be very sane after that. So, with the save button in mind, let's start going over the different things to consider when establishing a Hard Magic System. To start, one of the most challenging details is the source of magic.