what jungkook never admits is that fact that when taehyung was crying buckets over hobi's death, he wanted to be there for him.

what jungkook hated the most right now was the fact that his feelings were coming back. and the sad reality was that he was going to be handcuffed to taehyung.

he ruffled his hair as he slept through yet another tiring day. it was angst-filled but when was his day not.

--

jungkook opened his door to find his cat sprawled across taehyung's lap.

"what the-"

"oh hello, jeon." jungkook heard the sheriff's voice and looked up to meet a pair of red eyes.

"how'd you get in?"

"you don't necessarily keep your spare keys in a place where no one can see, jeon." taehyung's deep voice echoed across the room and jungkook looked up to face a deadly smirk playing on taehyung's lips.

"that's not legal, is it, sheriff."

"it is if it means he's staying with you till you're let go."

"what."

"you're under house arrest. for the next 10 days at least. they're suspecting something between you and that neighbour opposite your house. luckily, I saved your asses."

"I'll never know how you became sheriff, but right now, I'm glad you are."

"don't take advantage of it. and the trackers are staying on you."

"not like it matters."

"oh, it matters boy. its connected to me. and if they find out that I've been saving you two from shit, then im going to get busted."

"im glad you're doing this, but doesn't it make you feel guilty?" taehyung questioned.

"you're a criminal. aren't you, taehyung?"

taehyung kept quiet as he shifted uncomfortably under the sheriff's gaze.

"not really. I just like to fuck with people's brains."

"smart crimes or not. a crime is a crime. I'll be on my way now, boys. please don't fight. it's no use telling you this but try."

"see you later. thanks for everything." jungkook said, smiling at the sheriff.the sheriff opened the door but taehyung didn't let him leave as he soon shouted.

"wait!" taehyung said as he scrambled out of the sofa, making misty jump and meow loudly at the absence of warmth.

"yes?"

"w-what about school! it's starting next week!"

"you boys will just have to be willing to miss those first few days."

"what!?" taehyung yelled a little, making the sheriff and jungkook wince.

the sheriff looked at jungkook and he wasn't bothered. he shrugged and looked at taehyung.

"he tops the class. so." jungkook stated, like that sentence would explain everything.

"oh. oh wow. well, im sorry son, you need to deal with it."

"yeah, taehyung. stop being such a baby. deal.with.it." jungkook chuckled as he snapped.

"the only other option is for you two to be handcuffed to each other again, but only when you go to school."

"that doesn't make sense, sheriff." jungkook rolled his eyes.

"the first few days. cause you're on house arrest. I can speak to the main man if you want but-"

"absolutely not. im not getting handcuffed to this fuckface again." jungkook huffed, undeniably pinker as he remembers that his feelings are starting to take over.

"but, if that's the only way to get to school, im in." taehyung straightened up and looked at the sheriff.

"well, we need both of you to agree."

"it's not gonna happen, sheriff. trust me. it's way too hard to change and-"

"he clearly said only to school. are you deaf?" taehyung snorted.

"im okay with only school. makes it easier to fight you."

taehyung didn't say anything and somehow, it stings jungkook.

taehyung looked out of the window, peering as though something far more interesting caught his attention and for a split second, jungkook swears that a hint of sadness washes over the older's eyes when he looks at jungkook with anger.

jungkook is confused. thoroughly. there was something changing in their relationship as enemies and he didn't like it one bit.

taehyung isn't confused. he knows exactly what's happening.

his crush is coming back for the one and only jungkook. and he can't help but hold his hair in distress and scream out loud as the sheriff and jungkook jump at the sound, looking at him like he just saw a ghost.