A New Power

Padme Amidala stared at the palace court from her balcony. She could see Stormtroopers and droids blandly decorating the court yard ready for tonight. She sighed.

She hated the Empire. She hated that she couldn't raise her own children, on Naboo. She hated that she couldn't fall asleep knowing that Anakin was next to her.  She hated knowing that she couldn't take direct action against the Empire.

Tonight, she would have to greet Palpatine, in person, and probably Darth Vader, if he was willing to show up. She knew that she would be instantly recognised, even if her official record said that she was dead. But she was willing to risk it all - just to see Anakin once more.

"You seem distressed," Obi-Wan Kenobi walked up behind her.

"Obi-Wan," she gave him a small smile. Why can't you keep out of my head for one minute, she thought, Master Kenobi?

"Because I am a very charming ginger head." responded Obi-Wan. "If you're going to shout at me, don't bother.

"I don't want to aggravate you about tonight."

"I know Obi-Wan," she sighed and turned to face the Jedi Master. "Its just that I don't want any of us being caught...I just don't want to lose-"

"Duty before feelings, Padme." He gave her a serious look. "I know how hard this is, but we need to protect the twins, and the best way to do this is to turn up at the Gala, looking strong and confident, just like the Senator from Naboo I once knew."

"I am the same person, Obi-Wan!" snapped Padme, lashing out, "Don't start this again!"

"I'm not!" responded Obi-Wan, "You need to forget about Anakin. He's gone!"

"No he isn't!" Padme's face began to turn red. "I don't need you lecturing me about relationships! I'm not a Jedi!"

"I know you're not!" yelled Kenobi, starting to let his temper show. "The twins won't be protected for much longer if you keep thinking about Anakin.

"He's dead, for crying out loud!"

"No he's not!" Seriously wanting to stab her 'friend', Padme turned away from the Jedi to try and calm down. "He's still here. I know it. I can feel it."

"It's called the past Padme," argued Obi-Wan "Now, let go!"

"NO!" screamed the former Senator of Naboo, turning to face the Jedi. As she turned , she felt something awaken from inside of her. It burst out of her body, and like a strong gust of wind, it sent Obi-Wan Kenobi into the nearest wall.

A few seconds went past as she tried to take it in. She couldn't. She didn't know what had happened. She rushed over to her fallen friend, fearing the worst. "Obi-Wan!"

Slightly bruised, the Jedi Master rolled over on to his back. He sat up, as Padme knelt down beside him. "Padme," he asked, "Since when could you use the Force?"