Chapter 21: The Truth

Ashley

     I took a deep breath, the words on my phone screen made my heart pound out of my chest at a million miles per hour. I looked to Kassie next to me and told her, "It's Kian."

     "Well, answer it!" She encouraged, shoving my iPhone in hand closer to me as it buzzed.

     "What do I say?"

     She sighed, clicking the green phone button for me and pushing it up towards my face with one finger. She uncrossed her legs and gently stood up from her bed that the both of us were perched on she started pacing around her room. Why was she pacing? I should be the nervous one here.

     "Hello?" I said, the customary phone greeting. That, thankfully, didn't require much thought to say.

     "Hey, Ash." Kian said.

     I paused for a long time before spitting out the harsh phrase, "What do you want?"

     He sighed, "I knew that's the response I would get from you."

     "What do you want?" I repeated, holding back tears. I was hurt, so extremely hurt by what Kian did. He told me I was the only one he wanted, the only one who he was talking to. Problem is, he told Jenn the same thing to get her into bed.

     "I want an answer." he said.

     He wants an answer from me? Shouldn't I be the one requesting some answers here? "What's the question?"

     "What did Jenn tell you?" he asked finally.

     I shook my head furiously, looking up at Kassie, then back to my phone, "Why? So you can pretend that whatever she told me that you did was just a lie? I know it wasn't all just a lie, Kian."

     "Yes, I hooked up with Jenn. Only once, I took her out one night, as friends, and then we hooked up. It was a mistake." Kian explained.

     "I don't know if I can forgive you." I said, a tear rolling down my cheek but my voice withstanding the sadness I felt.

     "You can," Kian begged, "Please, Ashley. You don't know how much you mean to me."

     I stayed silent, which only gave Kian the oppurtunity to ask more questions.

     "Can I ask something else? What's going on between you and Jack?" 

     I hesitated for a moment. Since there is no reason to lie, I didn't, "He and I are good friends, you know that."

     Kassie tapped me on the shoulder, causing me to look her. Her wide eyes and curious look caused me to switch the call to speakerphone so we could both hear.

     "That isn't what he said."

     I stared at Kassie in shock and she stared back. She mouthed, "Make your decision."

     "Nothing happened between him and I." I insisted.

     "So, the two of you never made out?" he asked, "Or hooked up?"

     I shook my head, although he could not see that, "No, we didn't hook up or make out. I kissed him goodbye when he left for LA, but that was only because I was going to miss him."

     "Can you forgive me, Ashley?" he asked, "Please?"