Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

""Why Ada?" She asked as her cold hands rounded my body. My ear rested on her bosom and I could hear her heartbeat ticking rather quickly.

I wasn't crying anymore, but it wasn't as though my body has stopped shaking completely. The cool air from the open door wasn't helping too as it triggers the shakes whenever it brushes through my bare skin.

"What happened Nne? It's been long I saw you like this" Mum asked, her chin resting on my head.

I dragged in some mucus escaping my slippery nostrils, and with the helm of my gown wiped off some stubborn ones. "I'm good mum" I muttered.

"You don't look it. Your whole body is shaking. Why?"

I didn't want to tell mum as I couldn't place my hand on why I was crying. Moreover, she'd feel bad that she hadn't lived up to her promise of helping through my party arrangements. But why these tears?

Was it dad's rejection?

Or the accumulation of every single pain I'd gone through this passing week?

"Nothin..." I was interrupted by the strong footsteps approaching my room.

Eyes still slightly closed, I could feel someone standing by the door. The room had become suddenly dim as the person blocked the light rays.

"Who was doing that?" He asked.

Dad.

"I found her like this Emy, I can't.... "

"Is it because I told you I was tired Ada, Eh?" He asked walking into the room.

Mum released her hold a bit. I could feel her looking down at me.

"Did she ask for something?" Mum asked him.

"For me to cut out some silly pieces of paper for her." He replied and I could hear a smile in his voice. "You're becoming too soft" He added jokingly, holding me up.

I withdrew my hand from his, hiding my face in my lap.

"You don't want me to see you crying? You know you're my baby eh?" He asked playfully. I knew he wanted to see me smile, but I wasn't in that mood.

He's not worth it. Not even my tears.

"Is it for your secret gifts?" Mum asked. "I'll help you do that. You should have asked for my help Nne, you know I'm always here"

I nodded, still face hidden.

"Let's get it done, there's no time" She said pulling me up. I let her. And I let her warm embrace take away the coldness freezing my heart.

"I'd thought something bad had happened when I heard that scream. You scared me Ada" Dad said leaving the room.

Did I scream that loud?
I never knew I did.
********

Dad was seated on the couch when I passed by to pick a pair of scissors from the kitchen. I never knew he'd be there, so was definitely shocked to see him sprawled on the long sofa.

I avoided his gaze since I knew he would be staring at me. He was.

The scissors was lying hopelessly on the fridge and as I picked it up, I turned immediately to leave. I didn't want him casually walking in here just to trap me with a conversation.

He was now seated on the couch when I walked out, with mum sitting beside him. I can't say why I felt bad but I wished mum wasn't.

"Adaoma" He called but I feigned deaf and walked past them, turning right into my room.

Then I heard his phone ring.

My door was still left open so it was easy to eavesdrop.

"Yes?" He bellowed.

Brief silence.

“No Tee, we shared everything. I gave the last IV to Eby” I heard him say. “Why are you looking for one anyways?”.

Another silence.

"Okay then" And he ended the call I presume.

“Were there invitation cards? Did you print any?” I heard mum ask, surprised.

“It’s just few copies” His tone was cold.

“Even if it’s one copy darling, you should have told me" Mum replied. "And you distributed it without dropping a copy for me in case I have anyone I would want to invite, say my family for instance?”

“The cards are meant only for people that matters, that would support the project financially” Dad was blunt.

“So Eby matters more than I, my family? She gives you money then?” I could feel mum's anger rising.

“She's the interior designer, and that qualifies her for a copy! Get over it!” He thundered and I could hear sudden footsteps retracting from the sitting room. Seconds later, the footsteps were nearer again but this time walking towards the front door. And then I heard the door slammed shut.

His car came to life later and didn't wait a second to zoom out of the compound.

I trotted out and sat beside her. Mum smiled up at me and I was quick to return it. Unlike before, she was just indifferent. She was calm, composed and relaxed. I guess she was tired of the emotional torture and pain.
*******

Hello people

Oh I've been killing you all with incessant updates 😂

Don't mind me, I'm just kind of thrilled that's all, but I'll be reverting to the usual method, one update per day 😂 😢

Thanks for all the votes and comments (oh I love reading them. Some of you are so hilarious that I can't just read and pass, I always find myself responding to all 😂)

To the people that recommended this book, I can't thank you enough.

And my new followers, hope you're enjoying this story? Kindly tell me what you think about it. You can pm me if you don't  want to pen it here.

Back to the story, my heart broke for that young girl. Nothing hurts more than suppressed emotions, it's like poison and can kill gradually.

So what do you think people?

What would happen next?

Do you think Nekky is growing stronger?

Don't forget the next chapter will be about the party! So what do you think happened there?

Till tomorrow then 😘 😘

P:S If you loved this (I'm sure you did 😂) please kindly

Vote
Drop your amazing comments
Recommend
And share
I owe you all