"I have some pictures to prove it." Aunty Mma continued, lifting and scrolling through her phone. Mums eyes were on them, moving silently as she watched the screen move by as her friend scrolled past different poses.

I could see the reflection of the pictures in mum's pupils and for a moment, I wanted to view those pictures through her eyes, to understand what they meant and how they hurt her. I really wanted to take that hurt away.

"Is that Tee?" I heard mum ask, and aunty mma nodded. Mum scoffed a laughter, the tears drying up quickly.

I wanted to move over to them and see the pictures, but then again I didn't want to. I don't want such images glued to my heart. It's too tender to be dented.

"And what are they doing here?" Mum asked again.

"Dinner dates. With Eby and Tee" Aunty Mma replied through clenched teeth. Her cheek bones were sticking out and I was certain the sight of the pictures annoyed her the more.

Mum wasn't crying anymore.

"This seems to be a regular routine" Mum commented.

"Uh hum." Aunty nodded. "Thrice a week. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays" She answered as her hands kept sliding the screen. Mum shook her head.

"That's beautiful!" mum said aloud, arching her head to see her friend. Aunty Mma had stopped scrolling and was now moping at mum.

"What?" Mum asked, slightly amused.

I was watching.

"You know what you're saying right? You understand this is your husband and 'mistress?'" Aunty Mma asked, frowning at the word mistress.

Mum stared at her.

And then

They laughed. Very loudly.

And my heart relaxed. Let her laugh it out, whether for good or bad. I just wanted her to laugh.

"It's funny Mma. They're everywhere.  Clubs. Hotels. Gatherings. Like everywhere!" Mum was becoming sad again.

Her friend was silent.

"His friends, colleagues have seen them together. Even the ones I'm close and assumed friends with have all seen them, and none has deemed it necessary to tell me."

"That's life dear friend." Aunty comforted. "Everyone is busy running their race, even though not entirely. They'll tell others, discuss it but never with you. You'll become their juicy topic when you aren't around but becomes a bosom friend when you're with them. Don't let that hurt you!"

“But how did you get all these pictures?” Mum asked.

“I hired a PI to do it" She replied putting the phone away, right into her purse. "I wanted to understand what was keeping him out late, just as you enquired”. Mum nodded.

Aunty Mma later left around 9pm after giving mum a huge dose of inspiration.

Mum began over thinking things, always moody and rarely smiling. Slowly, she developed blood pressure which even made things worse.

She was trapped.
No job.
No savings.
No steady source of income.

She'd cried so much after aunty's visit that I felt this hard ache knotting up my heart.

Yes I can now confirm it, I hate my dad!.

I began to talk to mum, making her realize why she needed to be strong, to live. At least for Zara and I.

Thankfully, mum saw the brighter side of life and decided to live positively. I was glad, but most importantly relieved.

Dad came home around 11pm that evening, and as usual wasn’t bothered for a meal. He only announced casually that he'd be travelling the next day on a business trip.