Chapter One: Amber's POV

*Amber's POV*

"Yes Mom, I'll be fine. I know, I know, watch my surroundings, don't talk to strangers, and don't get shitfaced drunk." I told my mom with a smartass tone.

"AMBER NICOLE! Language! But yes, those rules, and call me when your plane lands." My mom's bottom lip started to quiver and I noticed tears brimming in her eyes. "I'll miss you so much! This is the first time you'll be on your own in a new place. I love you, don't forget that baby girl."

By the time my mom was done, I was on the verge of tears. "Mom, you can visit whenever you want. I just wanted a change of scenery. I

love you and I'll miss you like crazy." Now I was crying.

My mom pulled me into a bone crushing hug. I honestly felt like I was suffocating.

"Attention passengers: flight 263 to New Orleans, Louisiana is now boarding. We will depart in ten minutes. Thank you!"

"Bye mom! Come visit me. I'll call when I land and when I get to my apartment. Love you"

And with that goodbye, I boarded the plane to my new future.

*****

About two hours later, the plane landed in Louisiana. I was definitely not expecting this heat or humidity. It was probably only 80 degrees outside, but it felt like it was 100. I really need to buy more shorts.

See, I came from a small town in Colorado. Everyone knew everything about you. Oh, and I was able to wear jeans year round. Here, not so much.

Everyone looks at each other like strangers and it's hot as hell. I haven't even stepped out of the airport and I'm sweating through my clothes.

After taking a half hour just to find my luggage, I made my way into the sweltering heat. It took me another twenty minutes just to flag down a taxi. Mr. Taxi man told me it would take about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to my apartment in Baton Rouge.

Yay! Can you sense my sarcasm?

"Ma'am? Miss! We're here now."

Oh. My. God. This apartment is amazing. It's right on the outskirts of downtown Baton Rouge, so I'm right where the best shopping is! Oh God, that was so superficial.

I tipped the taxi man and got my luggage to go explore my apartment and this area.

My apartment has a huge living room, fully furnished. The kitchen was average sized with all up to date appliances. Next was the main bedroom. It had light purple walls with all white furniture. Then, there was the guest room, but I didn't really explore there. My room has an ensuite bathroom which I am so grateful for.

The first stop before shopping would definitely be to take a cool shower. I can't deal with all this sweat.

After my shower, I dug through all of my bags trying to find one of my few pairs of shorts. I put on a pair of denim shorts and a green tank top. I grabbed my wallet and keys and was ready for some retail therapy.

After a couple hours of shopping and a couple hundred dollars later, I was ready to go back to the apartment. There was one more store I wanted to go to. I heard there's a Forever 21 on Fifth Avenue, and I knew they had cheap, but cute clothes.

While I was looking for the store when I felt like I ran into a brick wall. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground staring at the sky. Holy crap, my ass really hurts!

"My God, I'm so sorry! If I would have been paying attention, none of this would have happened. Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shi-" I had to cut this guy off. His babbling was adorable, and that southern accent was a major turn-on.

"Hey, hey. Chill out. I'm fine. I don't think I broke anything and it was my fault. I'll be okay," I told him reassuringly. And that's when I noticed him.

Oh sweet baby Jesus, this man was undeniably gorgeous. His eyes were completely breathtaking. They were this striking green color. I have never seen someone with such beautiful eyes. His face looked like it was chiseled by gods. And his body was unbelievable. He had muscles, but they weren't disgustingly huge. All in all, he was perfect.

I vaguely heard this guy start talking in his sexy voice and that snapped my eye-raping to halt.

"Like I've said, I'm so sorry. It was my fault. Honestly. Let ne make it up to you. I'm Carter Peters." He stuck his hand out for me to shake.

I wonder if he realized I was completely checking him out before?

"Amber Brooks" I stated while shaking his hand. Immediately, I felt tingles shoot up my arm and fluttering start in my stomach. Suddenly, I could see a future with this guy and I just met him. I knew nothing about him!

"So can I make it up to you, Amber? You don't realize how terrible I feel." He pleaded with me. How could I say no to his adorable self?

"I think I would like that Carter. Hand me your phone. I'll put my number in, and you can call when you want to make it up." I trued to act all cool, but on the inside I was freaking out.

I handed him his phone back, hoping he wouldn't notice my shaking hands. Suddenly my phone started to ring. It was an unknown number. I looked at Carter and he just smiled. Oh my, that smile of his. Swoon worthy.

"So I'll call you?" He asked shyly.

"I would like that Carter," I replied blushing.

"Okay, and um, I'm really sorry about earlier."

"I told you not to worry! I'm fine. No cuts, bruising, or bleeding." I told him. He showed he really cared about if I was okay or not. Another turn-on. I don't even think he realizes how sweet he is.

"See you around then Amber." He told me while smiling broadly.

"Kay." Really Amber? That's the best you've got? Oh well, hopefully he won't think I'm a total loser.

After our conversation, I didn't feel like going shopping anymore, so I walked back to my apartment. That entire walk, all I could think about was Carter Peters. Just his name was sexy, definitely fitting for him.

Then I realized I forgot to call my mom. OH. MY. GOD. She's going to kill me. She probably thinks I'm dead. Oh crap, I've been in Louisiana for seven hours already, she'll be pissed. Can't wait for this phone call.

RING

RING

RING

"AMBER NICOLE BROOKS! DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I WAS ABOUT YOU!" My mom shouted through the phone.

"Mom I'm sorry, I'm fine, I just went exploring Baton Rouge. I know you're worried sick, but I'm perfectly fine, even better than perfect now." I replied.

"Oh, and why is this? Did you meet anyone?" She asked curiously, yet sounding suspicious.

"As a matter of fact, I did Mom. His name is Carter Peters..."