Chapter 24: Cheering Up

Start from the beginning

The two of you reached the kitchen and Sam was nowhere to be found. Dean walked to the fridge to get something out, and you watched him closely, trying to memorize him. Something had switched the night that Niki died. Dean treated you differently than the child he was making you out to be before. It was starting to drive you insane, because there was no way that he would ever feel the same way about you. Just as Sam viewed you as a sister, you were positive that Dean must have felt the same. Thinking of him as anything more was only going to hurt you in the end, and you knew it.

"Blueberry pie." He sat the box down in front of you and sat across from you, sliding a fork over to you. He clapped his hands together and rubbed them in excitement. You eyed him and then the pie that was already missing a sliver.

"I take it you really like your pie?"

"That's an understatement," Sam said behind you. You turned around to see him standing in white t-shirt and sweats. His eyes were squinted as if they were adjusting to the light.

"Mornin' sleeping beauty," Dean said through a bite of pie.

You stopped your fork midway to your mouth. "Morning?" Had you really slept that long?

"Sort of. It's about one."

You sighed in relief and finished your bite. You didn't want to be the person that slept all the time, and since you went in for a nap at about 7:00, that would have been much too long.

Sam got a glass of water and sat at the head of the table as Dean and you ate your pie straight out of the pie tin. He shook his head and chuckled quietly.

"What's so funny?" you asked him.

"You two," he replied. "You couldn't even be bothered to get plates?"

"No need to dirty extra dishes, Sammy," Dean replied.

"So listen," you said, quietly placing your fork down. "Maybe you were right about the hunt." You turned your attention to Sam who looked confused. "After the amount of meltdowns I had today, it might not be the best idea for me to be hunting right now."

"I think that's a good idea," Sam said. "I know you think we're being terrible by trying to keep you from certain things, but we just want you safe."

Dean looked at you earnestly, but said nothing.

"Can we get anyone on the case to check it out?" you asked, still not convinced that it was a string of coincidences.

"I'll call Jody in the morning," Dean answered.

+++

Dean held true to his word. He got one of their good hunter friends Jody Mills to check out the case while the three of you stayed back, seeing what you could dig up on Abaddon. The time was primarily for you to recover from losing Niki, and you were grateful for the fact that you didn't go hunting. It was nice to relax and not be pushing everything in your mind to the side.

Dean continued to be nice to you, it was a weird thing to get used to since he never was in the beginning, but you weren't going to argue. The only issue was that his kindness towards you only made your feelings for him harder to ignore. Ten days had passed since he got you the flowers that were still sat on your nightstand, pitifully wilted and dead. With each day, the more time you spent around him, the more you grew to like him. You knew you didn't have a school girl crush on him anymore. You liked Dean Winchester and wanted nothing more than to have him reciprocate those feelings.

That Saturday night, you decided to talk to Sam. You knocked on his bedroom door and timidly walked in when he gave you permission to enter.

"Sam, can I talk to you?" You stood awkwardly at the foot of his bed and played nervously with the string of your hoodie.

"Yeah, what's up?"

You groaned, regretting the decision to talk to him already. This was surely going to be an awkward conversation. "This is going to be weird," you said more to yourself than Sam. "I don't even know what I'm expecting you to do with what I'm going to tell you, but I just feel like I need to talk about it. I'm going insane."

"Y/N, is everything okay?" Sam shut his laptop and turned his full attention to you.

"Yes and no. I'm just going to get this over with...I'm falling for Dean."

He nodded his head, giving you time to keep talking. You supposed he didn't realize that that was all you could think to say.

"I'm just...I'm scared I'm going to make things awkward. I haven't exactly felt any sort of feelings for a guy in years. Plus, he looks at me like a sister, nothing more."

"I know you're worried that everything is going to change simply because you like my brother, but don't worry about it too much."

"Sam, you don't understand. I don't want to have feelings for Dean. We're like coworkers. It's a recipe for disaster."

He shook his head at you, a crooked smile playing on his lips. "I think you should stop worrying. Nothing is going to get weird. I promise."

"But-" you started to argue with him, but quickly cut yourself off as Dean entered the room.

"Oh, I didn't think you'd be in here," he said to you. "I was wondering if you guys wanted to hit up the bar?"

"That actually sounds amazing," you said, looking to Sam who shrugged.

"Awesome," Dean nodded his head. "We leave in ten."

"Uh-uh, Cowboy. I need at least twenty to get ready," you said motioning to your forest green hoodie and sweats. Your hair was another story entirely. There was no way you were going to go to a bar looking the way you did.

"Why? You look good the way you are," he retorted.

"Shut up," you said smacking his arm. "I will beready in twenty minutes and meet you guys in library."2Pg