Chapter 3

Aubrey of course finally relented to helping Chloe in her quest for a stress free weekend, and by the time the red head was setting off for her dress fitting in Florida Beca had agreed to be her date, and was busy working on set lists for her practice in charge. Still though, a date was only one less thing for Chloe to worry about and the red head knew this only too well as she pulled into her old street in Tampa, sighing as she stood out of the car.

"Mom!" Chloe greeted enthusiastically, a smile plastered on her face as she embraced the woman that most people insisted Chloe was the double of.

"Chloe dear, how are you?" The older woman replied, looking much less than her fifty three years as she pulled away from her daughter to examine her properly. "Have you been eating properly? Keeping up with classes? Are you dating?" The most frequently asked three questions rolled off the other woman's lips.

"You don't beat about the bush, do you mom?" Chloe smiled, pulling away fully from the older red head (though her mother's hair was a dyed red rather than a natural auburn).

"Well you know me honey; I like to know how you're doing." The older woman insisted, easily brushing off the accusation.

"Well I think I'm going to take my bag to my room first. Then we can talk." Chloe laughed, shaking her head as she took a step back towards her car. "Sound good to you?" She added.

"Oh only if you insist." Her mother sighed. "I'll be in the living room."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Chloe had forgotten she'd been going through her hard core pink phase last time she'd lived here (and unfortunately she meant the colour, not the artist). Although the brightness was something she was still okay with, she knew she'd either need to change it or experience a lifetime of complaining once Beca arrived.

She intended on mentioning that to her mother once she got back down stairs, figuring it was a good way to break the subject of her having a "girlfriend", though was side-tracked once she stepped into the room.

"Dad…" Her greeting was this time far less enthusiastic, though she managed to mask it well with her million dollar smile.

"Chloe." His greeting was more formal than her mothers had been, the stout, balding man rising from his seat near the fire and grasping her outstretched hand. "How's school?"

"Good, it's good." Chloe nodded, her smile never faltering as he dropped her limp palm and reclined back into his chair, Chloe mimicking the movement as she fell back into the sofa behind her.

"Glad to hear it." He nodded; his features tight, barely allowing for a smile to break across them briefly.

"So…" It was Chloe's mother that rescued conversation before an awkward silence fell. "You still owe me and answer to my original three questions." She prompted with a bright smile.

"There's just no getting around you, is there?" Chloe questioned, laughing when her mother shook her head. "Right well I am eating, Aubrey's just insisting I eat healthily for Bellas so I'm not allowed to survive on my usual diet of Doritos and gummy bears. I'm passing all my classes so don't worry; I'll be getting a full degree to make you proud." Chloe couldn't help but blush slightly at the proud smile that graced her mother's features at this. "And well… let's just say you need to make up the guest room for next weekend." She trailed off mysteriously, not wanting to simply blurt everything out for fear of making her mother suspicious.

"Wait… does that mean you have… a date?" Her mother's mouth hung agape, as if unaware of the power her daughters dazzling smile and alluring blue eyes had on people (though she'd had more than her fair share of trouble with those qualities when Chloe was a teenager).