Spring '78

Chapter Fourteen

(Spring '78)

"I love you so much, and everything was going so well, and then you have to drop dead. After everything we've been through this is how you repay me."

"Nothing I say or do will make you forgive me ever, and that fact alone makes me incredibly sad. I hope you know that I had loved you unconditionally even when I wasn't in my right state of mind."

"It's hard to know when you're coming home smelling like another woman's perfume and breaking the vows you once swore you'd never fracture."

"You are not just the moon and sun. You are the lunar eclipse and the rising of the sun and the setting of the stars scattered in the sky. You are my morning and evening and the moments in between where I will continue to love you past forever and a day."

"Quoting your vows won't make me stop crying, and you know that. What am I going to do when you're gone. Two kids and hospital bills up to my chin. The school never prepared me for this moment."

"Then go with your gut, my love. You are the smartest person I have had the pleasure of touching, and I hope you will always remember that I treasure each moment I got to have with you.

"I love you." "Okay."

~~~

Mom's not okay, and I don't think she will ever be okay again. High schools over and I didn't pass with flying colors. Then still, who needs diplomas when you have to spend your life watching over your baby brother because your mother isn't stable enough to be around easily fractured bones.

When will she ever be okay again? Hopefully soon, hopefully before a while becomes years.