Spring of '67

Chapter Three

(Spring '67)

There are leaves falling now, the start of a new life for nature. It was finally spring of '67. Nothing's happened much over the past months except Mom accidentally set the Christmas tree on fire. It was more Dad's fault, he just wouldn't stop. After mom told him countless times not to smoke in the living room because it took ages to get the smell out - he still did. 

I've begun to wonder if Mom and Dad enjoy hurting each other's feelings. They sure do it a lot nowadays and sometimes they forget I'm here. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that anymore. Dad took down my painting I gave him a year ago and replaced it with a picture of a half-naked girl from a magazine. Mom hasn't said anything about it, maybe she's starting to realize that no matter what she says nothing can help Dad anymore. 

Anyway, back to when Mom burnt the Christmas tree. Dad was being Dad and sitting on his couch and yelling at the player who seemed to be doing something wrong with the ball. Mom had repeatedly asked him to turn down the volume and put away the cigarette but he kept pushing her away and calling her nasty names. 

I wish I could have done something to help but I couldn't get hurt by the doorknob again. My head still hurts from last night, Mom and Dad to stay up late fighting for sure. I want to go in and help Mom but then I'd hurt more than just my head every time I jumped, and more hospital bills aren't good for us. Especially since Dad has lost his job and mom found out that she really wasn't expecting a baby. It was a false alarm.

~~~

Mom told me today she and Dad were like a car crash. They met and fell in love before the intersect but as time goes by they've got to cross the road sometime. They're all broken up now - not physically but mentally. Their minds are broken and they've forgotten everything good about their love. Mom looks like she's been in a car crash most days though.

She only told me this because of Dad coming home in the fancy car with blinking lights. It was a rather cool car with blue stripes. The nice officer was there, he told Mom that Dad was starting up a fight in the bar. He didn't have enough money to pay so the owner threatened to kick him out. I'm scared for Dad, he doesn't seem to understand his surroundings anymore.

She also told me Dad wanted to try out for the Army but he knew he couldn't get in. Not now anyway, not until he cleaned up his act, but she knew that it was hard for Dad. He had an addiction - we learned about that in school. 

Stacy said her Dad was addicted to his work, he wouldn't come home till late at night and she had to hear her mom call him just to make sure he was not sleeping there. Michael had butted in and told his story about how his Mom was addicted to Mary Kay. Michael said his dad told him that but never told him who Mary Kay was. There are so many secrets that parents keep from telling to their children, I wonder why. We don't keep secrets. 

~~~

We all ate dinner together that week, Dad was slouching over his meal and ignoring Mom and me but that's okay. At least he was here with us, it's better than him being out where we don't know.

He was brought home by the fancy car again a couple nights ago. I think Dad wants a car. He always seems to be in one, but I don't think he would be good with a car. He can't seem to walk straight. I'm afraid of what would happen if he had a car.

I saw something about a drunk car accident on the newspaper Dad always reads each morning. He didn't know I saw. I'm just worried for him. We shouldn't ever bring up the idea of getting a car, Dad might want one and I know that's not a good idea.