Chapter Sixteen

Charlotte

The next day, I was determined to do everything I could to avoid Luca. I couldn't wrap my mind around what happened last night, how we spiraled out of control so badly. That was how Luca and I worked, though. Nothing was ever the way it should be. One bad thing seemed to turn into ten until we could hardly recognize what was happening.

At Layla's insistence, we were in the pool by 9AM. As far as she was concerned, Luca's house was better than Disney World. For me, it had much more of a haunted house feel than the happiest place on earth.

When we first came out here, she was a little hesitant to jump in by herself. Now, however, she had banished me to the side of the pool and was doing everything herself. She would start school in a few days, and I wasn't sure what I would do with myself all day when she was gone.

"No one told me we got a mermaid in the pool!" Lily exclaimed, joining me by the edge of the pool.

"I'm not a mermaid, silly!" Layla giggled, continuing to bob in and out of the water.

"Are you sure?" Lily smiled. "You look like one to me!"

Layla smiled before diving under the water again. That was the best compliment she could ever receive.

"I'm heading into town in a little while for lunch and to stop at a few places. Care to come with me?" Lily asked, sitting down in one of the pool chairs next to me.

"I don't know if I'll be able to get this one out of the water." I chuckled.

"You look tired." Lily frowned, concern filling her face.

"Oh, I'm fine." I tried to assure her. "We've just been out here since nine."

"Girl's a fish!" Lily laughed. "How did it go with Luca last night? Did you guys talk?"

I couldn't help but scoff. Talk? Yeah, there had been little time for that between him having sex with someone in his office and hitting me while our daughter laid in the room next-door.

She frowned, putting a finger to my chin and turning my face towards her. I hadn't bothered to put on any makeup this morning, and bruises were forming. "Did he do this to you?"

"Lily, it's not as bad as it looks. Really." I found myself defending him. Lily definitely didn't know the finer details of what happened last night. I wasn't even sure I could bring myself to repeat them.

"That's bullshit. I don't care how upset he is. He should never lay his hands on you like this. I'm calling Gabe. He'll sort Luca out." She whipped out her phone and started pressing buttons frantically.

"No, don't do that." I held out my hand to stop her. "Really. I don't want to make a big deal out of this. Gabe doesn't need to know." He was my brother, after all. Even though I hadn't seen him for many years, I doubted he would take too kindly to Luca hitting me.

Lily' was conflicted, but she put her phone down.

"What doesn't Gabe need to know?" A familiar voice came from behind.

Lily and I both turned to see Seth standing in the pool area with us now.

"Hey Char." He smiled warmly, walking towards me quickly and kissing my cheek.

I shot Lily a look, begging her not to tell him.

"Hi Seth!" I stood up, giving him a big hug. "It's good to see you!"

"You too! I've been out of town, but I heard you were back! Are you two out here conspiring against my brother?" He teased, arching an eyebrow at us.

"I was just telling Charlotte that Gabe could watch Layla while she and I went to into the city for a little while."