34 - Voices In My Head

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" he asked.

I glanced in Bainbridge's direction again, and Rian followed my eyes. "We have some unexpected competition."

Surprisingly, Rian gave a short laugh in response. My eyes darted to his again as he smirked. "I always thought she was threatened by you, but this is just funny."

To my chagrin, the beginnings of a blush tainted my cheeks. Before Rian could see it, I pivoted on my heel and refocused on the food. "Threatened or not, Bainbridge is a big deal. Especially if Vanessa is bitter enough to stomach that asshat of a chef."

That sobered him up. "What do you want to do?" he asked, more seriously.

I contemplated the question. We had 25 minutes left on the clock. I'd originally planned on simply relying on the taste of my food to win, but now an extra component was needed to completely trump all our competition. I gave Rian a sidelong glance and sighed heavily.

I had no pride.

"Remember when we made that bet?" I asked grudgingly.

His brow furrowed. "Yes."

"Well, I need you to tap into some of that MIT-art-class talent for me. Can you?"

He scoffed. "Oh, is that all?" he asked mockingly. I scowled and stepped closer to him, hyper-aware of Vanessa's vulturous gaze on the two of us. 

"Can you or can you not?" I hissed, glaring up into his face.

He smirked back down at me, and my ire grew when I realized he wasn't taking my anger seriously. I was about to tell him off when I felt something feather-light brush against my cheek, and my voice died in my throat.

Rian tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. His smirk transformed into a rueful smile, and my fury faltered, momentarily unsure where to fire its vengeance. 

For one confusing moment, I wondered how I could possibly be angry at him, this glorious creature, with his hand on my face and his eyes in my soul. 

"Anything for the belle of the ball," he murmured. 

Against my will, I found myself drawn in to him. His hand drifted over my cheek, the pads of his fingers dragging over the flushed skin. He was close—far too close. My eyelids fluttered.

Then his touch vanished, and he moved away from me.

I stood there for a moment, entirely still. Only a few seconds within close proximity, and he'd toppled my defences. Just like he always did. 

I heard the sound of more vegetables being cut behind me, and I compelled myself to remember his words, not an hour earlier. You never have to see me again.

At the thought of that promise, my fury rushed back, tingling from my toes to my fingertips. He had no right. He had no right to say something like that, to mean it, and still make my heart race without even trying. My fists began to clench.

But I stopped, and forced the matter from my mind. This wasn't the time for another petty conflict. For now, we'd have to work together. I could only cling onto the promise that I wouldn't have to see him again anytime after this. Just today. One day, and I'd be free.

As soon as I crushed Vanessa and her blond lackey into the dust.

Soon.

With that thought in mind, I readjusted my sleeves and got back to work.

"The competition is now over!"

I breathed heavily, leaning against the counter behind me. We'd just barely managed to finish in time. Rian leaned next to me, rapidly twirling a small knife between the fingers of one hand. The other hand was tapping.