He was broken more than ever in that moment and Evelyn's appearance was like pushing a weight off his shoulder. For whatever reason he had no clue. But every time she was around, there was a feeling in his stomach. It was a weird feeling, a feeling that made him happy to see her. Relieved to see her.

Watching the exchange, Tiana felt bitter and forgotten all in a span of maybe five seconds. Knowing Maddox didn't need her anymore, she got up quietly and started to walk away. Glancing back at them, she heard Evelyn asked Maddox why he was crying, what was wrong.

Shaking her head with a sardonic smile, she continued to leave the two alone. There was no reason to get between love just because she couldn't have it.

She didn't know it, but Maddox noticed her absence. He watched her leave and for some reason, it didn't bother him. He didn't need her to be there for him anymore. As the girl in front of him fussed over his pain, a small smile adorned his lips.

Evelyn was something else. She was like a calm wind that ended his reign in the hurricane. Watching her grumble over him, he wanted nothing more than to keep her with him forever.

"Are you sure you're okay Maddox?" she quietly questioned with her eyebrows furrowed. Obvious worry dotted the creases in her forehead.

Taking a deep breath, he took his time responding, "I'll be okay."

The bell ring signaling that the last period of the day was certainly over so getting up, the both of them made their way outside.

"How about that boxing lesson," Evelyn said as she playfully nudged his shoulder.

"Are you sure you're ready for another one?" Maddox replied with a small smirk on his face.

He knew she was just try not to distract him from the reason he was crying. She didn't ask questions, she didn't try to pry anything out of him. All she did was stay by his side in case he needed the support.

For that he was thankful.

"I think I can handle it," she said laughing quietly.

~•~

"I can't handle it," she groaned as she flopped onto the bench.

"Of course you can't," he scoffed giving her an I-told-you-so look.

Throwing the boxing gloves at him, she huffed, "Don't make fun of my lack of stamina and strength."

Holding his hands up in surrender, he sat down in the floor checking his phone.

"Who is it?" Evelyn piped up after a while.

"Just my mom," he said shaking his head.

"What does she want?"

Putting his phone down, he sighed running a hand through his hair. Shrugging he looked up at her.

"She's pestering me to get the suit by tomorrow just so I won't forget until the day of the gala."

Evelyn sat up straight with curious eyes, "Gala?"

"Yeah," he said giving her a weird look, "don't you know about the annual gala? It happens on the 21st of December every year."

Shock was written on Evelyn's innocent features. Clearly she wasn't as integrated into their town's little gatherings every year.

"Oh...?"

"You really didn't know," he stated in confusion, "Everyone in town attends as well as business moguls from outside. It's the perfect event to interest investors for companies and such."