IV . choice

Serena's glare gave desert cats a run for their money. A shadow of doubt crept in my mind. We were no match against a powerful magician. "Where are you going?"

Adrien spoke up. "I need to piss."

She didn't seem to think we could escape. She's right. Adrien's face was drained of any colour. "Not in the springs."

Once out of earshot, I eased him into standing on his own. Adrien swayed before finding a fragile balance. Wan light cast shadows under his lacklustre eyes.

"Is it cold to you?"

"Not anymore. Help me devise a plan." His knees gave out and I struggled to catch him. "No, Adrien! I need you to be okay right now. Come on."

"You must know a way out, Sentry," he mumbled.

I shook my head. "I can't remember."

"But they do."

A desert cat fixed its glowing eyes on my brilliant blue pendant. Something inside me—a forgotten piece—was forced to the surface. My lips moved, fast and purposeful.

Di sprek enis unn tro.

It slunk into the darker recesses of the caverns. We followed to where it made no difference to open our eyes or close them. I placed the wellbeing of myself and a dying boy in the paws of a magic cat whose mews guided us.

"I see light," breathed Adrien.

Deserted school corridors welcomed us and the cat retreated to the caverns. A low rumble reverberated through the stone walls. "What was that?"

"Thunder. We must be close."

Hushed tones drifted to our ears from a nearby source. I pushed Adrien in a classroom and left the door cracked open.

"...Of course, this is strictly confidential," said a girl—the same one from the shoe shop.

"And the terrorist?"

She sighed. "The trial is a formality at this point."

"Has Serena interrogated him?"

"No. She hoped Maris would provide answers but...traitors never change."

I could see the girl's companion pass our door. "You would think after running away into the desert and going delirious, Maris—"

"Would not run straight into the arms of a zealot?" She scoffed. "Who knows what they plan to do in Ethrea."

The boy didn't respond.

"I'm sorry, David. She was my friend too." Their voices faded.

More pieces to the unending puzzle of my past. Adrien touched me with fingers stained by his own blood. I found strength buried under exhaustion and resumed our mission.

"You can go now." Adrien shivered against me. "It's too dangerous ahead. Give me my bag."

I ignored him.

His breathing quickened. "I'm going to blow up Ethrea's power source. That way the rebellion can overthrow the government easily. It's a risk, but you still have a choice—"

"And I choose to help you. Damn the consequences."

Utilitarian halls led us to a room humming with electricity. In the middle was a slab of stone similar to my pendant. Its blue aura pulsed to match the thunder outside.

Adrien emptied his satchel. Explosives rolled out and I helped attach them to various places. He showed me which button sets off a chain reaction. Everything in a fifty meter radius would be annihilated.

Behind us, the door slammed open.

"Maris, I was wrong to give you a second chance. Eghri honam."

Serena's desert cat pounced on Adrien so he lay unmoving on smooth, concrete floor. Blood pounded in my ears. I could not possibly fight against four angry magicians. And if I did not, they would execute Adrien.

I stepped over him, smiling. "You came!"

Serena narrowed her hazel eyes.

"I knew the terrorist would eventually reveal his reasons for coming to Ethrea. Thank goodness you arrived before Adrien blew everything up."

"Félicie..." Adrien rasped. "What are you doing?"

Despite bile threatening to make an appearance, I kept up the pretence. Anything to stop Serena from executing him, if for only a few more minutes.

"Blow everything up?"

"See all these explosives?" I walked to one by Adrien. He grabbed my wrist, tears glistening in his eyes. "This button will set them off, Serena. I'm going to press it."

Understanding dawned on Adrien who let go. "Thank you, Félicie."

I didn't need to force a smile.

"Maris..."

"I won't run this time." My finger hovered above the button. "But you still have a choice."

The Sentry girl from before looked to Serena who placed a hand on her shoulder. "Go."

"What about—"

"I said go."

They did, but not without looking back. Serena lifted her chin, a proud Sentry. I took off my pendant and watched its blue glow burn bright before fading. Neither my forgotten past, Sentries, nor rebellion mattered anymore.

Adrien held my hand as the explosives went off. Skyyda honam kre, I whispered.

The end.

A/N There may be a sequel. Maybe.